Amtrak HHP8 new paint?

metsfan

Number 657 pulling the very late 55 to washington wednesday night was sans acela splotch plus new silvery upper pantograph arm and more silver along the top where it used to be blue. Also of note is the silver seems to be more grey vs shiny metallic silver.

Will post vid soon.

- A

Number 657 pulling the very late 55 to washington wednesday night was sans acela splotch plus new silvery upper pantograph arm and more silver along the top where it used to be blue. Also of note is the silver seems to be more grey vs shiny metallic silver.

Will post vid soon.

- A

Hmm...I'll keep my eye out for it! Can't wait to see the vid!

Will post everything from the last few months tomorrow too tired now.

Also of note, the silver upper arm has also appeared on at least one aem-7 engine #920. Oddly enough, it only has one like that out of the 2. The HHP8 is too tall to see the parked pantograph so i dunno if it was like it on there or not.

Also of note, i have seen many HHP8 hauled regionals lately, and a few silver service trains, and one carolinian. I dont remember seeing any on the keystone though.

Off topic slightly, is that the double headed aem-7 seem to be the unrebuilt versions with one center resistor grid vs several.

- A

I searched to see when my most recent photos of 657 were taken and these two came up,

http://kaback9.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1526066

http://kaback9.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1536105

I honestly don't see anything strange with the paint and pant, but I'll as some friends who work for Amtrak if they no of anything.

HHP-8's and Cab cars(Amtrak's) are not that great together it has been done but they specifically keep AEM7's for the Keystone sets because they seem to work much better with the cabs, not to mention the HHP is not that great in PP service, just ask MARC who is thinking about sending theirs in for work already!

The panels around the lower outer lamps are a totally different color than the rest of the loco, i was standing 3 feet away from it so i guess it was more pronounced.

Also, those photos didn't reflect the silvery upper arm.

I will post a video very soon, maybe today, i have a LOT of videos and photos to upload and post to several forums.

- A

When did you first see these changes?

When I was on the Triborough Bridge on March 20, I saw a Regional led by an HHP-8. It's paint was more silver than normal. However, it didn't have a silver pantograph.

I've noticed some Acela pantographs with silver marks on them within last year. Like I said before, I think all of the Acela pantographs had been replaced with a newer designed pantograph. If I remember correctly, the old pantographs had airfoils on both the knuckle and the joint between the two arms. I think Amtrak conducted the front pantograph 90 day test to test out the efficiency of the new pantographs. It seems like they are testing the HHP-8s with the Acela's new pantographs.

Here's the url: http://i.pbase.com/g6/32/713132/2/79851844.aXht9MoU.jpg

Nice vid of the Amtrak-HHP8. Why did they move an Acela service Vehicle to Regular service.

That's not an Acela engine. That's a regular engine, based on the Acela engine, IIRC.

Well, that is Amtrak's green plan so I wouldn't be surprised to hear about it and you gotta fix you pix, it is not showing, :P...

I can see it fine... just need to know how to manipulate your computer correctly...

It's not a new paint, rather they just added the words Amtrak on the nose. I personally think that the Acelas should be repainted silver like the AEM7s.

Yes it is the units that got the scheme went in for refurbishment. They are taking sets out one at a time and doing the work on the cars in Race Street Yard in Philly not to sure where the power cars go, I was told Delaware Car company but I'm not to sure.

Yes it is the units that got the scheme went in for refurbishment. They are taking sets out one at a time and doing the work on the cars in Race Street Yard in Philly not to sure where the power cars go, I was told Delaware Car company but I'm not to sure.

Do you know where the out of service equipment slated to return to service is being overhauled/repaired?

I wonder if they are going to repaint in a new livery soon. As much as i enjoy seeing the current design, it tends to make the amfleets look rather dated. Light blue with silvery lettering?

- A

As much as I enjoy the Amfleet Is' overall performance, I still wonder when are they going to retire. After all, they are over 30 yrs old and their suspensions are starting to deplete.

Sooner than you think.

- A

Archived