Old EMU at adams MOW yard?

metsfan

So, on my way home today, i got a daytime view, longer than normal, since i was facing backwards in a (NJT) MLV, i noticed what i'd always assumed to be a push/pull passenger car. I was wrong. It looks like a silverliner or old PRR single unit self propelled car. PRR used to operate these in consists of 1 to 5 units on its local routes. So, my question is, what is an -old- pantograph toting car sitting idle for there? Restoration would be a cool way to go, perhaps along with the pair of SPV2000 at hudson yard.....

Any thoughts, info or comments?

- A

Do you have a photo? From what it sounds like you may be talking about one of the Amtrak Wire train cars.

I have been lucky this week and not had to make a trip on the NEC only the NJCL haha...the SPV(Seldom powered vehicle:p) belongs to the NYSWTHS from last reports will it ever move who knows.

The car in question has metal sheets over its windows, and has an older design than the silverliner 3 and 4.

It has an old fashioned diamond pant (the kind the GG1 and its contemporaries had). The wire train you speak of sits farther back last i saw and you can see the spools etc. It may have been moved though. This one is hooked to 2 other cars it seems, perhaps a light crane? I'll try to get another look today in the AM.

- A

Ok, news flash. Both of the cars i saw today had diamond (old fashioned) pantographs.

I have a photo of one of them.

They do NOT look like slapped on fabricated pants, they look to be original. I believe each one was half of a married pair, since the power conduit stops at what would be the rear of the A unit.

Will post photo ASAP!

- A

...I think this may be a wire car of some sort....waiting to see the photo though before I decide what it is. It could be like Septa's wire train that uses an arrow II(the last remaining one too) as a control car.

Yea! They liked triangles in the power systems back then it seems.

I just saw a similar car with mount but no pantograph on :septa: territory, so it seems these cars stem from PC operational era.

- A

Yea! They liked triangles in the power systems back then it seems.

I just saw a similar car with mount but no pantograph on :septa: territory, so it seems these cars stem from PC operational era.

- A

I hate double posting but just saw this, SEPTA has an ex NJT Arrow II which it uses for its wire train.

I mean the (NJT) wire train. Maybe :septa: took it? :cool:

- A

Nope NJT has or had two...ones fate still remains uncertain..the NJCL one is somehow still alive but sitting at the MMC awaiting its fate it seems(I was originally told it was scrapped but that seems not to be the case). Its my hope and a few others that it remains intact.

I don't know when SEPTA did theirs but I'll try to find out from some friends at both agencies to see if Transit sold them the car or not. :o

Nope NJT has or had two...ones fate still remains uncertain..the NJCL one is somehow still alive but sitting at the MMC awaiting its fate it seems(I was originally told it was scrapped but that seems not to be the case). Its my hope and a few others that it remains intact.

I don't know when SEPTA did theirs but I'll try to find out from some friends at both agencies to see if Transit sold them the car or not. :)

:tup:

The mystery of rail history is here and living large, even with modern operators, there are still mysteries, unanswered questions, and uncertain fates. :eek::cool::tup:

- A

• 1 month later...

Archived