National Train Day Part 2: Amtrak

kaback9

Thanks

That Acela set is undergoing a refurb the cars get it at Philly while the power cars go somewhere else. Delaware Car Company I believe but am not 100% sure.

The Pennsy colored cars belong to Juniata Terminal which is home to the PRR E8's among other things.

Is that like a specialty rail service company or something?

I think amtk services the power cars at ivy city? Very strange to see them disconnected, must be a pain to keep the open ends clean and dry in this weather!

- A

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniata_Terminal_Company

I hate using wiki for rail stuff but this was the only source I could find.

Yes Amtrak services Power cars and Acela sets at Ivy City. However the power cars are getting new paint and I think maybe some work done regarding systems. Ivy City can't handle that since they are just a Maintenance base, you would need something like Amtrak's Wilmington shops for what they are doing with the power cars. I'll ask around to find out where they go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniata_Terminal_Company

I hate using wiki for rail stuff but this was the only source I could find.

Yes Amtrak services Power cars and Acela sets at Ivy City. However the power cars are getting new paint and I think maybe some work done regarding systems. Ivy City can't handle that since they are just a Maintenance base, you would need something like Amtrak's Wilmington shops for what they are doing with the power cars. I'll ask around to find out where they go.

:tup:

So that explains the tuscan red & gold.......

- A

Very nice pictures! I was so busy working that before coming on the forum forgot about Train Day on the Saturday.

Andy - As you know there are shops in Wilmington, DE and there is also heavy duty shops in Bear, Delaware - the facility services the entire fleet of Acela, Metroliner, Viewliner, Amfleet II, and Superliner passenger cars and equipment from the Northeast Corridor and the Long-Distance Trains. There used to be an Amtrak loco shuttle train from the Wilmington shops that took some cars to Bear once a day at noon around Newark, I'm not sure about now.

Hi, quick question for someone who has only read about these things in books... is there a preserved Metroliner set at all? What about the GG1s?

Thanks in advance, fellas.

Hi, quick question for someone who has only read about these things in books... is there a preserved Metroliner set at all? What about the GG1s?

Thanks in advance, fellas.

There is a few preserved GG1's. There is also one preserved Metroliner Car at Strasburg PA. If you would like photos of a GG1 I can post them.

Archived