Broadway on the (G)

bigrene18

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

and there is only one spot where you can see the whole station from.

You can?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

You can?

Where can you see it from?

speaking of Broadway (G) Station, wouldnt it be nice if they had a free transfer between the (J)(M)(Z) at either Lorimer St or Hewes St, and the (G) at Broadway??

Broadway on the (G) is right between the two stations on the (J)(M)(Z) so it's not possible unless you want to build a tunnel going 3 or 4 blocks in either direction. I think it would just be better to allow metro card tranfers if its not allowed already.

Broadway on the (G) is right between the two stations on the (J)(M)(Z) so it's not possible unless you want to build a tunnel going 3 or 4 blocks in either direction. I think it would just be better to allow metro card tranfers if its not allowed already.

i dont think it is because i remember when they were doing the Reconstruction of the Williamsburg Bridge, there used to be a Metro Card Transfer between the (M)* at Lorimer St and the (G) at Broadway. im pretty sure they can build a tunnel to 3 or 4 blocks away to connect them lines together.

*i remember the (M) operated with only 4 R40 slant Cars 24/7 between Metropolitan Av, Queens and Marcy Av, Brooklyn, the (J) terminated at Myrtle Av, and the (Z) at Broadway Junction during that time.

i dont think it is because i remember when they were doing the Reconstruction of the Williamsburg Bridge, there used to be a Metro Card Transfer between the (M)* at Lorimer St and the (G) at Broadway. im pretty sure they can build a tunnel to 3 or 4 blocks away to connect them lines together.

*i remember the (M) operated with only 4 R40 slant Cars 24/7 between Metropolitan Av, Queens and Marcy Av, Brooklyn, the (J) terminated at Myrtle Av, and the (Z) at Broadway Junction during that time.

There is not enough need for the (MTA) to build a 4 block long tunnel and enclosed stair casr up to the elevated station. A free metro card transfer is enough.

I said that there is only one spot inside the shell where you can see from on side to the other.

Oh, ok.

the b-way south 4th street station is as big as hoyt st on the ind fulton/crosstown lines. in order to go in to the station you need a ladder and a flashlight

You need a ladder?

Yes, thats why Redbirdking said you need one.

Oh, ok. I thought you had to take the stairs....

Nope there are no stairs in the shell as they were never installed. Infact, Broadway does have a full mezz level with exits on Montrose Ave. The thing is though, they have been sealed up and that end is not used. There were also 8 stair cases from the platform to the mezz that were removed when the station was put into its current state.

I'm still curious.

Was there ever a plan drawn showing property lines, streets and tracks? I wanna know how they planned on routing all this. 6 track station at Union Ave and South 4?

I've probably read the nycsub.org article 30 times and still not sure about how and where some of these lines were supposed to run. And am still confused about this 6 track junction. That area's street layout hasn't changed since then AFAIK, and that's a lot of tunneling and ramping up/down, aquiring property.. .etc, etc, etc. If it were attempted nowadays it woud be stupidly friggen expensive.

I'm still curious.

There are alot more subway web sites then nycsubway.org out there. There is a Wiki article that has a map of the second system that will answer a bit of your question. It has taken me alot of out side reading to figure alot of this stuff out.

Here is the map from the Wiki page.

1929_IND_Second_System.jpg

It only shows 2 lines coming into and out of the station, so it is possible that the 2 other tracks could have been for relaying trains. Also keep in mind that this was being built by the IND which ment it was being built by the city to getting the propery would not have been a problem. I don't see how it being expensive today is relevent as there have been no plans in recent years to use this station.

Archived