Progress on 7 Line Extension

MTR Admiralty

Are they destroying the whole lower level, or dividing it into 2 halves and clearing a path for the (7) in the middle?

The latter is correct. They will bore the tunnel through the station, and remaining parts would be converted for storage rooms. In the future railfanners would not have very little chance to see the old station.

Oh man the memories come flooding back! The S/B (E) used to use the lower level at 42nd St during rush hours coming up from beneath the local station at 50th St. This was when the (E) ran out to the Rock. Only other train that ran down there was the old Aquaduct Special that ran non stop from 42nd to the race track back in the late 60s. After purchasing a ticket from the booth the rider went thru the exit gates that lead downstairs. These were the lower level gates. The Conductor collected your ticket at this gate

img_95447.jpg

I remember waiting for a Qnsbound (A) at Utica Ave and 10 car R9 came rumbling in on the Exp tracks. it had an (S) on the front but had (D) on the sides with 6th Ave Exp, C'nc'rse 205th and Coney Island in the destination slots. The train had a handful of people but it didn't stop. At the time (I musta been about 11 or 12) I had no clue what it meant. Took me years to puzzle it out.

Sorry to see the lower level go

The captions say the southern half would be sealed forever. No traps or employee entrances.

It cringes me to think of a station that is sealed off permanently to everyone.

That is probably the latest news, as we all know, the reports change, so I won't suspect if they are sealing forever.

But it does sound weird right? Being locked up forever?

Are they destroying the whole lower level, or dividing it into 2 halves and clearing a path for the (7) in the middle?

The latter is correct. They will bore the tunnel through the station, and remaining parts would be converted for storage rooms. In the future railfanners would not have very little chance to see the old station.

The captions say the southern half would be sealed forever. No traps or employee entrances.

It cringes me to think of a station that is sealed off permanently to everyone.

Wouldn't it be smart to have a locked door on both sides, where the 8th Avenue trackbed is? For an emergency exit to the 8th Avenue line, just in case. The track is, after all, permanently de-electrified.

Wouldn't it be smart to have a locked door on both sides, where the 8th Avenue trackbed is? For an emergency exit to the 8th Avenue line, just in case. The track is, after all, permanently de-electrified.

That is true, especially we are living in such a time. We do need emergency access somewhere. But don't forget, that is very close to the station itself as well.

That is true, especially we are living in such a time. We do need emergency access somewhere. But don't forget, that is very close to the station itself as well.

True, yes, but still.

And possibly use one former staircase on each side as an emergency exit to the platform above.

Emergency exits are always a good idea. But the problem is this-

You exit from the (7) tunnel to the abandoned lower level. How are you going to exit from the abandoned lower level if it is sealed?

Like this.

Use one former staircase on each side as an emergency exit to the platform above.

I believe the staircases are under trap doors, no? At least one of them, if not all of them. If not, they could retrofit them with trap doors.

Like this.

I believe the staircases are under trap doors, no? At least one of them, if not all of them. If not, they could retrofit them with trap doors.

True, wanna call them and drop off that suggestion? Because it does sound good because it gives secondary egress when there is an emergency.

Sure, but, what about a fire or some natural disaster such as a storm? We still need a way to get out, right?

Yeah, remember the summer 2007 flooding? I've seen videos on youtube of the evacuation of the (E) train during that time and they used emergency exits to escape. Emergency exits are vital.

If you want to see those videos go to http://www.youtube.com/noramoss; he has three videos of evacuating during the floods.

Yeah, remember the summer 2007 flooding? I've seen videos on youtube of the evacuation of the (E) train during that time and they used emergency exits to escape. Emergency exits are vital.

If you want to see those videos go to http://www.youtube.com/noramoss; he has three videos of evacuating during the floods.

Yeah I know, in unpredictable times, we do need emergency egress. It does not have to be a bombing or arson. It could be a black-out etc...I don't know the distance between the station and the stairs in the lower level, but I feel in times such as these, we may need it.

• 2 months later...
The (7) extension is a great idea, well if they had more money, maybe extend it to the World Financial Center. Please don't criticize harshly about my idea, it's just a thought. :P

Actually, I'm not going to criticise you for anything. Although it is financially infeasible in the current state of affairs, studies have shown that it IS recommended to have a line connecting the Hudson Yards development and the West Side of Lower Manhattan. The study that I referred to, wanted a light rail line running down the median of the West Side Highway (if I interpreted correctly).

Nevertheless, it is actually under construction. The TBM is there and digging.

Archived