Long Island Rail Road System-Wide Service to Be Restored Tuesday Morning

Harry

post-5097-0-88359200-1453818649_thumb.jpg
The Long Island Rail Road will resume service system-wide for Tuesday morning’s rush hour after a concerted effort by thousands of LIRR and state workers cleared the five remaining branches left snow-bound by a weekend blizzard that hit especially hard in Nassau, Suffolk, Queens and Brooklyn. Trains will be running again on the Long Beach, Hempstead, Far Rockaway and West Hempstead branches as well as the Atlantic Branch from Jamaica to Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-88359200-1453818649_thumb.jpg

I think the general discussion should be why can't the LIRR be on par with Metro-North?  The fact that the LIRR is clearly superior to Metro-North is certainly hurting Long Island.  Long Island needs the LIRR to be better otherwise it faces problems long term. I can't see how anyone would put up with the high cost of living on Long Island, along with the high LIRR fares for mediocre service at best.  If anyone doesn't think it isn't political, I have a bridge to see you.  The folks out in Connecticut wouldn't put up with this, and I'm sure the governor would be foaming at the mouth.  Meanwhile, not a peep out of anyone from Long Island.  It's almost as if the standard if expected.  Hell I was fuming at the fact that Metro-North wasn't up and running until late Sunday afternoon.  LIRR issues have to deter people from moving there and hurts the tax base and viability of Long Island long term.

I think the general discussion should be why can't the LIRR be on par with Metro-North?  The fact that the LIRR is clearly superior to Metro-North is certainly hurting Long Island.  Long Island needs the LIRR to be better otherwise it faces problems long term. I can't see how anyone would put up with the high cost of living on Long Island, along with the high LIRR fares for mediocre service at best.  If anyone doesn't think it isn't political, I have a bridge to see you.  The folks out in Connecticut wouldn't put up with this, and I'm sure the governor would be foaming at the mouth.  Meanwhile, not a peep out of anyone from Long Island.  It's almost as if the standard if expected.  Hell I was fuming at the fact that Metro-North wasn't up and running until late Sunday afternoon.  LIRR issues have to deter people from moving there and hurts the tax base and viability of Long Island long term.

In general, Metro North has been better about building in needed capacity before it's too late; GCT is not at capacity unlike Penn, and their third track project was wrapped up in the 1990s and 2000s. LIRR only started talking about it in 2000, and it still hasn't been completed because of opposition from Long Islanders despite the fact that it would improve the impact of the railroad by removing grade crossings that are closed 50 min out of an hour.

Keep in mind CT fares are low because of the arrangement CDOT has with Metro-North. There is no Island-wide authority that has its own source of funding to subsidise service, and there probably will never be one. Heck, Suffolk has on-again off-again discussions about splitting in half.

In general, Metro North has been better about building in needed capacity before it's too late; GCT is not at capacity unlike Penn, and their third track project was wrapped up in the 1990s and 2000s. LIRR only started talking about it in 2000, and it still hasn't been completed because of opposition from Long Islanders despite the fact that it would improve the impact of the railroad by removing grade crossings that are closed 50 min out of an hour.

Keep in mind CT fares are low because of the arrangement CDOT has with Metro-North. There is no Island-wide authority that has its own source of funding to subsidise service, and there probably will never be one. Heck, Suffolk has on-again off-again discussions about splitting in half.

I would have to agree that Metro-North isn't at capacity.  There's really only one train that I catch in the morning that is SRO.  The others generally have enough seats, and going home, I never have to stand, be it peak or off-peak.  The Hudson line in terms of train service is pretty good.  The only thing I would like to see is a few more semi-express trains to Riverdale which would keep my commute at 30 minutes (with the shuttle bus included). The only line with an issue is perhaps the Harlem line which can be packed at times, but there's only a few that are bad.  Long Island has a problem in that the taxes are already high, and no one wants to pay more.  You really can't blame them.  I just think that folks who live in suburban areas with Metro-North have a better quality of life.  Less hassles in terms of trains being on time... There's only a few places out on Long Island that I think are worth it and they are relatively far out... Most of the Hamptons is nice but again very far out...

There are many ways in which LIRR is inferior to MNRR - yes. The aftermath of the blizzard is a simple function of LIRR territory got far more snow than MNRR territory. 

I know you love my stats <3 so here you go! Not that it matters too much, but for whatever its worth I'm not just spitballing anecdotes with regard to this storm, I do actually have meterological training. 

MNRR TERRITORY SNOWFALL

...FAIRFIELD COUNTY...

NORWALK 16.0 950 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

GREENWICH 16.0 845 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

DARIEN 14.5 1030 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

FAIRFIELD 13.5 900 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

WESTON 13.0 900 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

BRIDGEPORT AIRPORT 12.0 100 AM 1/24 FAA OBSERVER

SHELTON 12.0 835 PM 1/23 AMATEUR RADIO

EASTON 11.5 1005 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

RIDGEFIELD 10.0 1000 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

...NEW HAVEN COUNTY...

GUILFORD 16.0 900 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

MILFORD 15.5 1000 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

NORTH HAVEN 14.4 1115 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

WEST HAVEN 11.5 1022 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

BRANFORD 11.0 835 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

MADISON 9.0 800 PM 1/23 AMATEUR RADIO

MERIDEN 8.1 900 PM 1/23 AMATEUR RADIO

2 ENE MERIDEN 8.0 930 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

WATERBURY 4.5 900 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

LIRR TERRITORY SNOWFALL

...NASSAU COUNTY...

HICKSVILLE 29.6 1200 AM 1/24 PUBLIC

NORTH MERRICK 25.8 1100 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

MASSAPEQUA 25.2 930 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

ISLAND PARK 24.0 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

MERRICK 23.4 1100 PM 1/23 BROADCAST MEDIA

BETHPAGE 23.0 940 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

NEW HYDE PARK 23.0 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

WANTAGH 22.9 810 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

PLAINVIEW 20.4 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

SEAFORD 19.5 1100 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

WESTBURY 18.5 845 PM 1/23 NWS EMPLOYEE

GLEN COVE 18.0 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

EAST MEADOW 16.8 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

BELLMORE 16.0 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

...SUFFOLK COUNTY...

COMMACK 26.5 840 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

ISLIP 25.9 100 AM 1/24 TRAINED SPOTTER

ISLIP AIRPORT 23.4 100 AM 1/24 FAA OBSERVER

SMITHTOWN 23.0 1200 AM 1/24 PUBLIC

CORAM 22.5 930 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

PORT JEFFERSON 22.0 950 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

HOLBROOK 22.0 1100 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

UPTON 18.1 100 AM 1/24 NWS OFFICE

MANORVILLE 18.0 920 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

MORICHES 17.5 850 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

CALVERTON 16.0 845 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

SHOREHAM 15.0 818 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

SOUTHAMPTON 14.5 1120 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

MNRR AVERAGE:  12.55 inches

LIRR AVERAGE:     21.13 inches

So, remember I'm not totally disagreeing with you about MNRR > LIRR. But, I don't think response to disproportionate snowfall is a fair comparison. LIRR on average had an extra 9 inches of snow over MNRR. Thats the difference between the small plow on a diesel switcher being sufficient to clear trackage and requiring specialized equipment. 

Here's the data direct from the national weather service if you'd like to run the numbers for yourself and not trust my excel formula: http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=OKX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=20&glossary=1&highlight=off

Ahem CT service levels suck the trains can't handle the insane crowds that make the (4) blush service there needs to at least be every 15 minutes Off-peak.

Ahem CT service levels suck the trains can't handle the insane crowds that make the (4) blush service there needs to at least be every 15 minutes Off-peak.

Stop over exaggerating. I've used the New Haven Line and see those trains daily and nowhere near as bad as the (4) line.  Service is frequent enough and a few standees certainly is tolerable.

There are many ways in which LIRR is inferior to MNRR - yes. The aftermath of the blizzard is a simple function of LIRR territory got far more snow than MNRR territory. 

I know you love my stats <3 so here you go! Not that it matters too much, but for whatever its worth I'm not just spitballing anecdotes with regard to this storm, I do actually have meterological training. 

MNRR TERRITORY SNOWFALL

...FAIRFIELD COUNTY...

NORWALK 16.0 950 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

GREENWICH 16.0 845 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

DARIEN 14.5 1030 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

FAIRFIELD 13.5 900 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

WESTON 13.0 900 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

BRIDGEPORT AIRPORT 12.0 100 AM 1/24 FAA OBSERVER

SHELTON 12.0 835 PM 1/23 AMATEUR RADIO

EASTON 11.5 1005 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

RIDGEFIELD 10.0 1000 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

...NEW HAVEN COUNTY...

GUILFORD 16.0 900 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

MILFORD 15.5 1000 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

NORTH HAVEN 14.4 1115 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

WEST HAVEN 11.5 1022 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

BRANFORD 11.0 835 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

MADISON 9.0 800 PM 1/23 AMATEUR RADIO

MERIDEN 8.1 900 PM 1/23 AMATEUR RADIO

2 ENE MERIDEN 8.0 930 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

WATERBURY 4.5 900 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

LIRR TERRITORY SNOWFALL

...NASSAU COUNTY...

HICKSVILLE 29.6 1200 AM 1/24 PUBLIC

NORTH MERRICK 25.8 1100 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

MASSAPEQUA 25.2 930 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

ISLAND PARK 24.0 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

MERRICK 23.4 1100 PM 1/23 BROADCAST MEDIA

BETHPAGE 23.0 940 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

NEW HYDE PARK 23.0 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

WANTAGH 22.9 810 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

PLAINVIEW 20.4 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

SEAFORD 19.5 1100 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

WESTBURY 18.5 845 PM 1/23 NWS EMPLOYEE

GLEN COVE 18.0 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

EAST MEADOW 16.8 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

BELLMORE 16.0 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

...SUFFOLK COUNTY...

COMMACK 26.5 840 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

ISLIP 25.9 100 AM 1/24 TRAINED SPOTTER

ISLIP AIRPORT 23.4 100 AM 1/24 FAA OBSERVER

SMITHTOWN 23.0 1200 AM 1/24 PUBLIC

CORAM 22.5 930 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

PORT JEFFERSON 22.0 950 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

HOLBROOK 22.0 1100 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

UPTON 18.1 100 AM 1/24 NWS OFFICE

MANORVILLE 18.0 920 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

MORICHES 17.5 850 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

CALVERTON 16.0 845 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

SHOREHAM 15.0 818 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

SOUTHAMPTON 14.5 1120 PM 1/23 PUBLIC

MNRR AVERAGE:  12.55 inches

LIRR AVERAGE:     21.13 inches

So, remember I'm not totally disagreeing with you about MNRR > LIRR. But, I don't think response to disproportionate snowfall is a fair comparison. LIRR on average had an extra 9 inches of snow over MNRR. Thats the difference between the small plow on a diesel switcher being sufficient to clear trackage and requiring specialized equipment. 

Here's the data direct from the national weather service if you'd like to run the numbers for yourself and not trust my excel formula: http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=OKX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=20&glossary=1&highlight=off

Well that's nice of you to provide more excuses for the LIRR, but what about all of the other mishaps that they've had?  Shall we blame that on the weather too?  <_<

Well that's nice of you to provide more excuses for the LIRR, but what about all of the other mishaps that they've had?  Shall we blame that on the weather too?  <_<

Uh - no. Put your stupid incredulous face away. 

If you bothered to read my post I repeatedly stated that I agreed with you for the most part and was simply saying that the blizzard recovery disparity between LIRR and MNRR is not a fair comparison. 

But like, if you wanna completely change the subject and talk about 'mishaps' we could talk about derailments................................

Uh - no. Put your stupid incredulous face away. 

If you bothered to read my post I repeatedly stated that I agreed with you for the most part and was simply saying that the blizzard recovery disparity between LIRR and MNRR is not a fair comparison. 

But like, if you wanna completely change the subject and talk about 'mishaps' we could talk about derailments................................

I don't think it makes sense to stick up for the LIRR and make excuses for them, given their past.  And no, we don't need to change the subject and talk about derailments because I know first hand how bad at least two of them were since they happened in my neighborhood.  That has nothing to do with the two railroads overall, so I'm not sure why you're even bringing it up. 

I don't think it makes sense to stick up for the LIRR and make excuses for them, given their past.  And no, we don't need to change the subject and talk about derailments because I know first hand how bad at least two of them were since they happened in my neighborhood.  That has nothing to do with the two railroads overall, so I'm not sure why you're even bringing it up.

I was neither sticking up for the lirr nor making excuses for them, chowderhead. Clean the hubris out of your eyes and read what I wrote a few more times until maybe half a sentence fragment actually makes its way into your heavily insulated brain. Not everything is a mutually-exclusive, binarily polarized statement. I generally hate the LIRR to be perfectly blunt about it - still doesn't mean I'll call everything that's inconvenient to me 'pathetic' on their part. 

And I would vehemently argue that safety record - or if you prefer "passengers killed by railroad per year" - is an important metric to keep in mind when comparing two railroads overall. 

Or are you saying you don't give a flying flark who dies, as long as your commute is pleasant? 

I was neither sticking up for the lirr nor making excuses for them, chowderhead. Clean the hubris out of your eyes and read what I wrote a few more times until maybe half a sentence fragment actually makes its way into your heavily insulated brain. Not everything is a mutually-exclusive, binarily polarized statement. I generally hate the LIRR to be perfectly blunt about it - still doesn't mean I'll call everything that's inconvenient to me 'pathetic' on their part. 

And I would vehemently argue that safety record - or if you prefer "passengers killed by railroad per year" - is an important metric to keep in mind when comparing two railroads overall. 

Or are you saying you don't give a flying flark who dies, as long as your commute is pleasant? 

Safety record aside, which is the better railroad?  That's the question I have.  Maybe you can answer that and leave your immature, childish "insults" out of the conversation.  

Safety record aside, which is the better railroad?  That's the question I have.  Maybe you can answer that and leave your immature, childish "insults" out of the conversation.

If you'll refer to the exhibit below, you'll note that I agreed with you since my first post in this thread that LIRR is generally worse than Metro North.

There are many ways in which LIRR is inferior to MNRR - yes.

So, if saying that you hadn't read and comprehended what I had wrote was insulting, I don't know what to tell you. I agreed with you from the get go on this one, just not about this one storm.

If you'll refer to the exhibit below, you'll note that I agreed with you since my first post in this thread that LIRR is generally worse than Metro North.

So, if saying that you hadn't read and comprehended what I had wrote was insulting, I don't know what to tell you. I agreed with you from the get go on this one, just not about this one storm.

Ok good... So we'll have to agree to disagree on this one storm... 

Archived