MTA holds out hope for more buses

Via Garibaldi 8

It's not enough to demand more service on your route. You should also identify which route should lose service to cover your increase. (As long as there is a bus shortage, it's a zero-sum system.)

Well maybe we can cut service from your neighborhood and then you can rail on your elected officials about how useless they are. lol

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my observations of what takes place with the (1) at 231st the situation in Riverdale is not that dire. I have yet to see crowding on the Bx7 and Bx10 to the degree that other routes in the borough go through. I think some people just want to make a stink up in Riverdale.

Simply put, crowds build up at that stop over at 231st/Broadway (towards Riverdale), due to the fact that b/o's on the Bx10 (for whatever the reason) practically crawl the route from top to bottom, and the Bx7 b/w 225th & 231st alone (nevermind the turn onto 231st) is a PITA for buses to travel/maneuver along (classic example of why I personally do not drive under elevated structures in this city [there's other reasons as well, which I won't get into here])..... That's all it is.

If that part of Broadway was more free-flowing, and dispatchers (or whoever responsible) start being more stringent when it comes to the Bx10, the problem wouldn't be near as apparent.... I would amount it to normal passenger activity b/w modes up there.... The former of the two is a big if - the latter however, well, being blunt, something needs to be done to speed the Bx10 the f*** up.....

Right this second, IDRC much to compare crowding levels on them, to other routes in the Bronx, and they themselves (Riverdalians) can suggest more service & putting artics on routes, but that's not going to exactly solve the core issue (as I see it anyway)..... I empathize with them, but I don't exactly sympathize with them - as I do believe they're trying to get more service on the Bx7 & Bx10 than what's really needed....

This isn't just about the crowding at 231st by a _______________________________________________________ longshot.

From my observations of what takes place with the (1) at 231st the situation in Riverdale is not that dire. I have yet to see crowding on the Bx7 and Bx10 to the degree that other routes in the borough go through. I think some people just want to make a stink up in Riverdale.

Well the question is when are you observing such things? Crowding on weekends tends be a non-issue versus weekdays.

Well the question is when are you observing such things? Crowding on weekends tends be a non-issue versus weekdays.

I'm observing such things during the afternoon rush hour usually between 4-5 pm. I've seen much more hectic situations with riders piling on buses from the subway then what goes on up there. Also, excluding 231st (1), the routes aren't that bad. I've yet to see a northbound Bx10 come into 231st/Broadway SRO and the Bx7 buses are also on average not so bad coming in so there is room to handle the activity entering Riverdale. The worst i've seen is when traffic blocks buses pulling out so instead of departing with 40 passengers on board there's an extra 20-25 that make it in time to pile on to the bus. 

I'm observing such things during the afternoon rush hour usually between 4-5 pm. I've seen much more hectic situations with riders piling on buses from the subway then what goes on up there. Also, excluding 231st (1), the routes aren't that bad. I've yet to see a northbound Bx10 come into 231st/Broadway SRO and the Bx7 buses are also on average not so bad coming in so there is room to handle the activity entering Riverdale. The worst i've seen is when traffic blocks buses pulling out so instead of departing with 40 passengers on board there's an extra 20-25 that make it in time to pile on to the bus.

4-5pm is not really the heart of the rush. You should observe from 5 - 7 at a minimum before drawing such conclusions.

Archived