Subway riders feel MTA is taking them for ride as fare hiked to $2.25

Harry

How will your routine change because of the subway fare hike?  

1. 1. How will your routine change because of the subway fare hike?

• Walk more
    • Bike more
    • Go out less
    • No change in travel habits - will spend less money on something else

I just wonder what the point of this poll was. I mean, people aren't going to have to scrounge every nickel in order to pay the new fare. An Unlimited 30-Day card will cost $8 more, which is hardly an hour's work for most people.

You know, those guys shouldn't be complaining. We could've had a $2.50 fare.

Regardless whether the price is $2, $2.25 or $2.50, going by subway or bus in the city is cheaper than driving or taking a taxi. The English and the Continental Europeans might even call our system a bargain. Look at London, last time I checked, the Underground costs 2 pounds in 1 zone (the central zone) and several pounds outside. To travel from Ealing Common to the City is around 4 pounds. A pound is not a dollar, a pound is more than a dollar. Do the math and you'll find that the Londoner's argument that our system is a bargain is right. For 468 stations and 700 something track miles and opening 24/7, we should not go ballistic when the base fare is raised just a quarter. Other cities are getting whacked.

Level of service? Yes, trains are not that frequent and after the hike, train frequencies haven't improved. And there are still nerve-wracking GOs. We could've had a gutload of service cuts. We were spared from that, at least temporarily.

You know, those guys shouldn't be complaining. We could've had a $2.50 fare.

Regardless whether the price is $2, $2.25 or $2.50, going by subway or bus in the city is cheaper than driving or taking a taxi. The English and the Continental Europeans might even call our system a bargain. Look at London, last time I checked, the Underground costs 2 pounds in 1 zone (the central zone) and several pounds outside. To travel from Ealing Common to the City is around 4 pounds. A pound is not a dollar, a pound is more than a dollar. Do the math and you'll find that the Londoner's argument that our system is a bargain is right. For 468 stations and 700 something track miles and opening 24/7, we should not go ballistic when the base fare is raised just a quarter. Other cities are getting whacked.

Level of service? Yes, trains are not that frequent and after the hike, train frequencies haven't improved. And there are still nerve-wracking GOs. We could've had a gutload of service cuts. We were spared from that, at least temporarily.

That's why I hate the British govt. They tax the &%$# out of you, make you £16 (about $32) to drive in London, and yet public transit still costs a lot. You'd think after all that money you paid them in taxes and congestion charges an Englishman could at least get a cheaper mass transit system. But noooo

That's why I hate the British govt. They tax the &%$# out of you, make you £16 (about $32) to drive in London, and yet public transit still costs a lot. You'd think after all that money you paid them in taxes and congestion charges an Englishman could at least get a cheaper mass transit system. But noooo

Believe it or not a portion of the United States taxes still goes to Britian every year just like every other British colonie.

British Parliament is insane, it doesn't have the filibuster system that we do. We think of all Brits as these stuck-up well-mannered folks that look down on everybody. Meanwhile, their Parliament is as wild as an after-game pub scene.

Well construction is done on weekends and next time check the MTA website for any service advisories and you won't be getting any "surprise" shuttle bus.

Hah, believe me, after that night I've tried to pay more attention. Sometimes it's just tough when you're rushing from work to go out and you "never think it will affect you."

Also as I'm sure many of you have noticed, at the card vending machines now, their new "deal" is 4 rides for $8. There you go. Whether at $2 or $2.25, you can't beat a one-fare system. The time of day and hence level of train activity and ridership on a line is what makes all the difference.

I might sit there and think, "Wow... I pay... for this?" as I ride a wall to wall packed (E) out to Queens and we're gliding along in the tunnel at a crawl because of "train traffic", but that same exact ride in the middle of the day or later on is quick, cool, and quite nice. It's the LIRR fare, $4.50 (just got hiked 50 cents) from Jamaica to here, that I think is a little steep.

I'll never forget someone pulling the lamest excuse I'd ever heard on the LIRR one day. C/R comes by and asks for a ticket... and this dude stupily responds, "But I paid on the subway." Actually, he very well might have been a foreigner, and the C/R was super nice about it... but wow. Oblivious if he were telling the truth.

Archived