Lowest Grade Crossing on any Metro North Line

mark1447

Hey, this question is for MNR only nothing else lol, dont wanna go off..

Anyways, whats the lowest street or area on the Metro North with a Grade Crossing. Such as Westchester County or some where. on each line(Harlem, Hudson, New Haven).

I know Bronx and New York Counties don't have MNR Grade crossing except facilities, but just wondering where in westchester would I find one, possibly near the Bronx or something. If none in westchester where at?

Just asking since I wanna rail fan there during the summer, I know its a safety hazard, but just curious.. Seeing that there is none when I view on Google Maps, except in youtube videos..

Thanks!

Here is a link to probably the best commuter rail track map of the area. This certainly does NOT give anyone permission to trespass upon private property, regardless of the owner. But it is highly thorough and well constructed and includes features such as the non-revenue Beacon Line and defunct stations.

Again, please obey all local, state and federal laws and be safe whenever you voyage into unfamiliar territory to collect pictures.

http://www.richegreen.com/NYCTrackMapV3.pdf

The New Haven Line (the mainline) doesn't have any grade crossings. The Danbury and Waterbury branches have a few, although those are relatively far away from the city. Not sure about the New Canaan branch as I've never ridden it. The Hudson Line doesn't have any grade crossings, at least south of Croton-Harmon. I'm not sure if there are any north of Manitou. The Harlem Line has the greatest number of grade crossings, although a number have been eliminated over the years, and I don't know where any of them are located offhand.

You might be able to find crossings using Google Maps' satellite photo view, although that could be tedious.

List of all MNR grade crossings in NY (public and private)

In CT (public and private)

The report is paginated, I suggest you click Show All.

Check the boxes next to the crossings you're interested in, click generate report. A wealth of info is produced. If you selected many crossings, the file may not be in any order. Read carefully.

By lowest, do you mean elevation or distance to NYC?

List of all MNR grade crossings in NY (public and private)

In CT (public and private)

The report is paginated, I suggest you click Show All.

Check the boxes next to the crossings you're interested in, click generate report. A wealth of info is produced. If you selected many crossings, the file may not be in any order. Read carefully.

By lowest, do you mean elevation or distance to NYC?

thanks that ill check out, to bad there isnt a map. And I mean distance to and from NYC/ Not just any location

@Rutgers Tube Thanks! I got that map from before, so kool! And i will becareful on the laws around..

@rmcconnell Thanks for letting me know on that. Doesnt Stamford has Grade crossing tho?

So far i only found this one, and its in White Plains, NY. Has a yard there. Nearest Station, North White Plains on HL line.. Sounds like a bare town..

(Zoom to where the (A) is at)

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Virginia+Rd,+White+Plains,+Westchester,+New+York+10603&sll=41.063789,-73.772721&sspn=0.013687,0.030513&g=Virginia+Rd,+White+Plains,+Westchester,+New+York+10603&ie=UTF8&ll=41.06971,-73.768559&spn=0.003422,0.007628&t=h&z=14&iwloc=A&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=Virginia+Rd,+White+Plains,+Westchester,+New+York+10603&sll=41.063789,-73.772721&sspn=0.013687,0.030513&g=Virginia+Rd,+White+Plains,+Westchester,+New+York+10603&ie=UTF8&ll=41.06971,-73.768559&spn=0.003422,0.007628&t=h&z=14&iwloc=A" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

Isnt there another one but much lower then this but closer to NYC..

Just north of Peekskill on the Hudson line is a street level grade crossing.

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=41.285843,-73.930411&hl=en&geocode=&gl=us&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=19&sll=41.285851,-73.930411&sspn=0.000838,0.002189&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=41.285851,-73.930411&spn=0.000838,0.002189&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=&daddr=41.285843,-73.930411&hl=en&geocode=&gl=us&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=19&sll=41.285851,-73.930411&sspn=0.000838,0.002189&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=41.285851,-73.930411&spn=0.000838,0.002189" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

:) Enjoy.

True, but Peekskill is north of North White Plains.

I'm still wondering how to embed google maps.

but did you see how far it is from the station? how do you plan for him to walk to that crossing? The Peekskill crossing is close to the station and he can walk there.

Just north of Peekskill on the Hudson line is a street level grade crossing.

:o Enjoy.

hmm another great place too, Thanks =) And Much closer to the Grade Crossing!

btw I dont mind walking tho for the NWP station. I might get a good view off the yd thats there, what ever the yd name is..

And if Not go to the Location on google maps, and click "Link" under "Paste HTML to embed in website" Grab the HTML Code, and post it using the GMAP BBcode button above the new post you maing or type it manually

[GMAPS][/GMAPS]

anyways bk on topic

hmm another great place too, Thanks =) And Much closer to the Grade Crossing!

btw I dont mind walking tho for the NWP station. I might get a good view off the yd thats there, what ever the yd name is..

Plus the scenery on the Hudson line is beautiful.

You would not be able to walk directly along the tracks from NWP station to Virginia Road because the North White Plains train yard is smack dab between he two!

You would need to take about a 15 minute walk to get to the crossing via local roadways.

You would not be able to walk directly along the tracks from NWP station to Virginia Road because the North White Plains train yard is smack dab between he two!

You would need to take about a 15 minute walk to get to the crossing via local roadways.

I didnt mean to walk inside the yd, especially its restricted. I mean walk pass it.

Archived