Why Did NYCT Order The R16's?

Maserati7200

Why were they ordered? What cars did they retire if any? Were they ordered for service increases? All I know is that at first they wen to the Eastern Division. Wikipedia and nycsubway.org have no info on this. In fact the R16 wikipedia article needs to be completely rewritten. I am going to go about that task.

Here you go(dunno if this ill help):

First Page: http://i26.tinypic.com/23udf9x.jpg [Extra Large, clear]

dpu7uv.jpg

----------------------

Second Page: http://i26.tinypic.com/2q00nt1.jpg [Extra Large, clear]

2dwhjif.jpg

NOTE this is a book from 1997, rereleased 2002(Which mine above is 2002).So just ignore the 1997 part. On the other hand its a good source~

The R16s were ordered to relieve a fleet shortage, and to provide for the extension of IND service to the Rockaways and Coney Island via culver, replacing the BMT 1300s(Convertables) and 1500s©, and perhaps any remaining unrebuilt 1200s/1400s(BUs, if they werent already gone) by converting the lines they ran on to Subway equipment.

They also replaced the BMT Bluebirds and BMT Zephyr.

Thanks for the scan Mark1447

One reason why the R16's were ordered was to bridge the gap between the R10 and R27 orders. If the R16's weren't ordered, then the R27 order would have called for an additional 200 cars. AFAIK, the R16's were ordered for service increases. Remember, in 1955, the BMT 60th Street Tunnel was connected to the Queens Boulevard line. The norm is to order additional equipment to handle the increased capacity.

Thanks for the info.

The R16s were ordered to relieve a fleet shortage, and to provide for the extension of IND service to the Rockaways and Coney Island via culver, replacing the BMT 1300s(Convertables) and 1500s©, and perhaps any remaining unrebuilt 1200s/1400s(BUs, if they werent already gone) by converting the lines they ran on to Subway equipment.

They also replaced the BMT Bluebirds and BMT Zephyr.

Thanks for the info. But question: why would the Blue birds and Zephyrs need replacing? They were ordered in 1938-1939, they were only 16-17 years old.

A little off topic, but was the R11 just an experiment or an actual order?

Like 33rd St said they were an experimental order. They were meant to be the first of cars for the Second Avenue Line. The vision was for those cars to be part of that line, brand new cars on a brand new line. Since the line never got built, the rest of the cars were never ordered and those 10 cars became red headed step children for their entire lifetimes in service in transit.

The Bluebirds were around LONG after WWII. They were scrapped in 1957

The Green Hornet was the train scrapped for WWII.

The R11 train which was delivered was only sort of experimental. Much like the first Bluebird unit, and the first few Triplexes, they were here for testing/troubleshooting. They just cancelled the order before the rest were delivered(The bluebirds were cancelled after the first 5 production units were delivered.) The R11 was in no way intended to be an experimental fleet like the R110. There was an intention to order 400 of them in total.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived