L Train Platforms

dng2000

The (L) cannot run 10-car trains because the platforms on average are 480 feet long, which can platform eight 60-foot trains only. This applies for all stations from Jamaica Center and Metropolitan Avenue to Broad Street. And I don't see the MTA expanding the platforms in the foreseeable future because they're in the toilet right now.

To answer your question, most platforms from what I witnessed are a bit longer than 480 feet. A bit. But that doesn't mean they could have 600 feet trains going through it.

And it is also not the issue of extending train platforms, because if they want to do it at any time, they could. It is the issue of the overall clearance. Could the tunnels and their curvatures handle 600 feet trains?

To answer your question, most platforms from what I witnessed are a bit longer than 480 feet. A bit. But that doesn't mean they could have 600 feet trains going through it.

And it is also not the issue of extending train platforms, because if they want to do it at any time, they could. It is the issue of the overall clearance. Could the tunnels and their curvatures handle 600 feet trains?

Good point. I never thought of it that way, although I would question that since 75-foot trains were tested on the Eastern Division. Then again even so there would be 6-car consists and this would be shorter than an 8-car 60' consist (6x75'=450';8x60'=480').

Archived