New equipment & de-mothballed equipment etc.

metsfan

So, where do we stand here in 2009 with Amtrak's equipment roster? What's new, what's coming, and what is on its way out?

I am curious if Amtrak will be ordering any ALP-46a, or ALP-45dp, or any other "in the works" equipment, and how many metroliner cabs remain both total & inservice, and are there any that can be restored to service (as cab) that are sitting idle?

What equipment is signed for retirement, when, and why.

What do YOU think they should retire, what to replace it with, and why.

Input from everyone please, even not amtrak fanners.

- A

The current aim is probably to replace the non-rebuilt AEM7s with new 8000hp locomotives. The Budd Amfleet Is are still in very good condition much like the NJT Arrow IIIs due to their durable stainless steel sides and can last for another 10 years. Even though NJT plans to retire the current MUs, keep in mind that even though the Amfleet Is are older that they are all trailers and are therefore not as vulnerable to mechanical failure as the Arrow III MUs. The worst I've ever heard from these trains was an overflooding toilet on a train that broke down in the East River Tunnels. Until then, I hope that the FRA increases the speed limit of hauled trains to 135 mph so the HHP-8s can perform to max. I would love to see the Amfleet IIIs (or another name) with Arrow/Silverliner oval windows without the center bar that are as big as the Acela windows, wider seats/legrooms, and cleared for 135 mph. I'm not sure about the current conditions of the Metroliner cabs. They were quite unrealiable as MUs and are uncompatible with HHP-8s.

So, where do we stand here in 2009 with Amtrak's equipment roster? What's new, what's coming, and what is on its way out?

I am curious if Amtrak will be ordering any ALP-46a, or ALP-45dp, or any other "in the works" equipment, and how many metroliner cabs remain both total & inservice, and are there any that can be restored to service (as cab) that are sitting idle?

What equipment is signed for retirement, when, and why.

What do YOU think they should retire, what to replace it with, and why.

Input from everyone please, even not amtrak fanners.

- A

There is an RFP out for new electric locos, they want to replace all the AEM7DC units. They will keep around some AC's.

There is an RFP out for viewliner II's in the form of baggage,Combination dorm, diners, and of course sleepers. That would replace most if not all of the heritage equipment, except for some of the best stuff.

The Amfleets are fine and will continue to do what they do best and more cars are coming out of rebuild at Bear.

Viewliners are the low height PRR tunnel sleeping cars that amtrak has had in the NY division since the late 80's, but they had a few rebuilt in the late 90's if memory serves, they were first rolled out in service xmas season 1987, and were welcomed by many as an update to the aging sleepers of yore. :D

- A

The amfleets were basically the culmination of Budd's passenger car involvement in the usa, and are so successful that they may be on the rails for another 25 years or so. Any replacements would be hard pressed to match the durability & reliability of these cars.

The horizon fleet assigned to the NY division will likely find homes in museums & operating collections such as the Polar Express seasonal train & similar service across the country when replaced by newer stuff in 10 years or so if not transferred to the Chicago division. I'm betting some will go towards coastal evacuation leases.

- A

I thought that the Viewliner Is were introduced just a little over a decade ago. What problems mandate their immediate replacement?

It is not that the Viewliner needs replacment, but the Viewliner 2 has baggage cars, baggage-dorm cars, diners and more sleepers, since they are short on Viewliners with only 50 of them ordered, and 48 operational if my memory is right.

The only Horizons that come into New York are on the Lake Shore or rarely the Silver Trains or the Cardinal. If you mean the heritage cars, I'm praying VIA may take them and overhaul them when the time comes.

Some also came in on the old Three Rivers.

Yes but currently that train does not exist so no need to list it, however bringing it up I would like to see that train brought back along with a sleeper for 66/67 ie: the Federal overnight NEC train. However this all depends on new sleepers.

Federal, makes all amtrak station stops boston to dc?

Yea horizon heritage i get the 2 words mixed up, i have dyslexia so it will happen. The old stainless steel dining cars with the small door to load things. I've only seen the powder blue one once. The rest have been plain stainless steel.

- A

Federal, makes all amtrak station stops boston to dc?

Yea horizon heritage i get the 2 words mixed up, i have dyslexia so it will happen. The old stainless steel dining cars with the small door to load things. I've only seen the powder blue one once. The rest have been plain stainless steel.

- A

No worries Andy!;) Just wanted to make sure since horizons do show up sometimes.

As for the Federal now just known as 66/67 yes it makes every NEC stop except the following, per TT:

Bridgeport CT

EWR

Aberdeen

and since it goes all the way to Newport News it does not make a stop at Woodbridge but all other Amtrak stops between NPN and WAS.

No worries Andy!;) Just wanted to make sure since horizons do show up sometimes.

As for the Federal now just known as 66/67 yes it makes every NEC stop except the following, per TT:

Bridgeport CT

EWR

Aberdeen

and since it goes all the way to Newport News it does not make a stop at Woodbridge but all other Amtrak stops between NPN and WAS.

Sounds like a move that needs a name and more equipment.

What i'd like to knoe, is when FRA will let amtrak run full 10 (passenger) car sets. The demand is there, the trains are always totally packed, very, very popular service, let the money flow in all ready guise! :cool:

Are the old metroliner emu rebuilds the ones with no door at one end, because i've seen them, and i even have a photo of one set back to back no door, however there might have been a door on the other side, not likely though as there were no door lights either.

Are there any older lightweight cars cleared for 125 that could be tacked onto heavily advance booked trains?

- A

Archived