NJT train and locomotive assignments

tramrunner

tell me please:

are the locomotives and trains in NJ Transit permanently assigned to lines?

FOr example, if I spotted lets say 4607 loco on the NEC line,

is it possible to see it on NJCL line?

4406 and 4607 locos I spotted at the Long Branch Yard. Is it possible to see them on Raritan Valley, or NEC line?

Are the Arrow III EMUs permanently assigned to Hoboken or Newark/New York division?

Usually they are. I spotted a NJCL locomotive at Hoboken one time. I would say most of the times but I could be wrong. Eric would definitely know. He'll respond as soon as he see's this post.

Hello Everyone,

I would LOVE TO BE IN CHARGE OF THAT!!!

When I started to hunt down the certain locomotives for photos. I noticed a cycle. Most diesels that run at rush hour are used on a specific route for a least a week then they rotate them. I''m not 100% sure of exactly how its works however.

Eric

4406 and 4607 locos I spotted at the Long Branch Yard. Is it possible to see them on Raritan Valley, or NEC line?

Are the Arrow III EMUs permanently assigned to Hoboken or Newark/New York division?

You won't see 4406 and 4607 on the Raritan Valley line because the line isn't electrified yet.

As for Arrow IIIs, any of them can show up on any line thats electrified. So it would basically be the NEC, NJCL but only up to a certain point, and the M&E Line (Gladstone line).

You won't see 4406 and 4607 on the Raritan Valley line because the line isn't electrified yet.

As for Arrow IIIs, any of them can show up on any line thats electrified. So it would basically be the NEC, NJCL but only up to a certain point, and the M&E Line (Gladstone line).

Arrow III MU Cars can only run to Matawan but most times are ran only to South Amboy.

Eric

WIll be useful to know,

how permament are the assignements of Arrow IIIs to 12 or 25 kV networks.

How frequently to the reassignements happen?

How does a train pass 12kV / 25kV border. I guess there should be a segment with "switchable voltage section" somewhere at Kerny-Waterfront connection.

By the way, look on my closeup photo of Arrow III 1395 at Hoboken, made more then a year ago.

WIll be useful to know,

How does a train pass 12kV / 25kV border. I guess there should be a segment with "switchable voltage section" somewhere at Kerny-Waterfront connection.

By the way, look on my closeup photo of Arrow III 1395 at Hoboken, made more then a year ago.

I'm not sure how the voltage change can be made because on the North Jersey Coast Line the same thing stops them at the Aberdeen-Matawan Phase Gap.

I could be wrong though.

Eric

I honestly think that most of the Arrow IIIs are on the NEC. NJT has been sending diesel sets to Dover and Gladstone lately. With the increased PVL service things might have changed but I only know of two Arrow rotations to Dover and trains 607/626 are covered using Bay Head equipment.

WIll be useful to know,

The MUs have to go through the MMC in order to be moved between divisions. If there was a way to do automatically, NJT would be using the Arrows on Midtown Direct and they wouldn't have been banned south of Matawan.

It would definitely be passed the NATCO siding. I would like know exactly where also as I usually railfan out in those parts.

The Matawan-Aberdeen Phase Gap extends from just south of the Natco Stub track to Lloyd Interlocking under the Garden State Parkway to Beers St. in Hazlet.

Eric

• 4 weeks later...

The ALP-44 and ALP-46 locomotives can be found on any electrified line. They are not 'captive' to any one line, and you will often see a single locomotive be 'transferred' to different electrified lines. In fact, many consists that go head into NYP from the NEC/NJCL are scheduled to turn as Midtown Direct trains onto the M&E, and vice versa. This is possible because the ALP's can change voltage on the fly.

The Arrow III EMU's, on the other hand, cannot change voltage on the fly, only in the shop. So they are 'captive' to the NEC/NJCL east of Matawan (11kV) or the M&E (25kV).

Due to the voltage change on the NJCL to 25kV just west of Aberdeen-Matawan station, the 11kV AIII's are generally only seen on the NEC (which is 11kV along its entire length from Morrisville yard to Sunnyside yard). However, you do see an Arrow III set pop up every now and then on the NJCL as a Matawan or South Amboy local.

Archived