Question of how the trains pull into NYC penn

NewJerseyT

I once heard that all the trains pull in cab car first,but then I remembered that when I was young,getting off the train walking to the broken escaltor(like always) and the alp 44 which had its head in the wall so to speak.This was on the NJCL. I was wondering if its just random or do they all go in with the cab car first.Or is it just the NJCL that pulls in randomly.

Ok thanks,just seems I won the fight:p

With Electric Consists Arrow III, ALP-44, ALP-46 etc. It doesn't matter what direction the trains operate. Diesel are more of an issue because of the Hoboken Terminal train shed. You obviously don't want A diesel locomotive running in front of the concession stands inside Hoboken Terminal.

Eric

With Electric Consists Arrow III, ALP-44, ALP-46 etc. It doesn't matter what direction the trains operate. Diesel are more of an issue because of the Hoboken Terminal train shed. You obviously don't want A diesel locomotive running in front of the concession stands inside Hoboken Terminal.

Eric

I wasnt talkin about hoboken:p I mean NYC penn.

I've been on Midtown Direct and have seen ALPs on either end of the train. Hoboken ALP trains tend to organized the same way. However MU setup tends to vary. These 5 GIF trains tend to be the common Arrow setups on the Hoboken side. Trains are setup from east (left) to west (right);

NJTarrow3Pleft.gifNJTarrow3left.gif

NJTarrow3Pright.gifNJTarrow3left.gif

NJTarrow3left.gifNJTarrow3Pleft.gif

NJTarrow3left.gifNJTarrow3Pright.gif

NJTarrow3left.gifNJTarrow3left.gifNJTarrow3left.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Its usually just a pattern NJT does. I've seen a few trains that loco didn't head into NYP. but usually you'll see the loco head into NYP with like I said, a pattern thats followed.

There is no pattern with the electric trains going into and out of NYP. Cab car first or locomotive first is basically a 50/50 chance.

NJT does try to have diesel locomotives on the west end of trains in/out of Hoboken/Newark (Main, Bergen, Pascack Valley, M&E, Montclair-Boonton, and Raritan Valley lines) , and the north end of trains in/out of Atlantic City. This is to avoid having the diesel locomotive close to the passenger waiting areas in those terminals. However, even there, sometimes you do see a diesel locomotive on the east or south end of the train. This is probably the 'pattern' you are thinking of. The noise & fumes issue is nonexistant at NYP, and most NJT trains (the ones coming in or leaving from tracks 5 and above) originate/terminate in Sunnyside yard anyways.

with the electric locomotives into NY Penn it all depends on where the train goes after NYP.....reason being that some of the consist get completely turned around when going thru the loop at sunnyside...while others remain the same by simply reversing out of Penn....it all depends on what trains go into and out of Sunnyside Yard when leaving Penn Station and which ones don't....that determines for the most part which way an electric consist will face

on the other hand almost ALL Raritan Valley Line trains push to Newark and Pull to Raritan....its a rarity to see otherwise on this line(although it does happen from time to time)

with the Hoboken Division its more of an issue due to the fact that the concourse is right there adjacent to the tracks.....in order to reduce noise and the smell of fumes ...all locomotives are supposed to face west.....but there are some exceptions to this also....especially when a train is short a cab...and the consist is double ended

In the case of Hoboken, if a train has to come in with a diesel loco facing east, I think the engineer has to let control know and they'll probably tell him, go in, drop the passengers, and get the train out the terminal.

Electric locos are different case. It doesn't matter which direction the loco is facing. I at times see electric locos come into Hoboken facing east.

In the case of Hoboken, if a train has to come in with a diesel loco facing east, I think the engineer has to let control know and they'll probably tell him, go in, drop the passengers, and get the train out the terminal.

Electric locos are different case. It doesn't matter which direction the loco is facing. I at times see electric locos come into Hoboken facing east.

Nope. Many trains that terminate Hoboken turn for other runs out of Hoboken. If the locomotive happens to be on the east end, it'll sit there idling until it departs as whatever run it turns to. I've seen this happen several times (although it is rare as mentioned above, as NJT does what it can to avoid having the locomotive on the east end of diesel sets originating/terminating in Hoboken).

Archived