Providence & Worcester NR-2 in Ledyard, CT

Fred G

Hot Fred! Hey buddy, they usually use B-units on this line?

Thanks, Z, and yeah they do, as well as on the run from NH to Middletown.

Now thats an excellent photo for a wallpaper! Hot Shot Fred :(!

Thanks, Mark!

Beautiful Fred! :tup:

ps. That train looks a little over powered:p.

Thanks, it's either overpowered or those gondolas are filled with lead. Dunno what they were picking up on their way south and west.

Hahaha, it does look over powered! :cool:

It even requires a B unit?! :eek:

Nice catch! :tup:

- A

Thanks!

Nice!

It seems that the front/rear engines here were used for convenience. There is one video on YT with 2 locos dragging a boxcar of lumber through Kingston, RI. When it returned, it had the car it picked up sandwiched between the 2 locos like in the picture.

Though I don't know why there are B-units.

Nice!

It seems that the front/rear engines here were used for convenience. There is one video on YT with 2 locos dragging a boxcar of lumber through Kingston, RI. When it returned, it had the car it picked up sandwiched between the 2 locos like in the picture.

Though I don't know why there are B-units.

I suspect that the B unit may be shut off & just being moved on a routine run for convenience. On the other hand, perhaps the B unit is on, and one of the engines is having an issue. Or, as (F)(G) said it could be hauling something very dense, like lead, or possibly another heavy metal in ingot form. I guess we will never know.:cool:

- A

I was joking about the lead. PW does tend to have extra power on even short trains. I'll see a train of 3 boxcars and 2 hoppers with 2 GP's on it fairly often. I can't recall seeing only one PW engine on any train, now that I think about it. It could be that since I'm seeing them at quite a distance from their home yards and shops that it's cheap insurance to just add another engine to the train rather than risk some long distance rescue mission or get stuck somewhere on the shoreline B) Stuff happens.

I was joking about the lead. PW does tend to have extra power on even short trains. I'll see a train of 3 boxcars and 2 hoppers with 2 GP's on it fairly often. I can't recall seeing only one PW engine on any train, now that I think about it. It could be that since I'm seeing them at quite a distance from their home yards and shops that it's cheap insurance to just add another engine to the train rather than risk some long distance rescue mission or get stuck somewhere on the shoreline B) Stuff happens.

I've seen short trains move things like lead, cobalt, some weird heavy stuff, have like 3-4 engines on 6-7 railcars.:cool:

I know as (:P(K) said amtk doubles up electrics after they come out of the shop, and as i've seen CRSA, (NJT), and often they will tow units empty that need fuel, and sometimes they have to do some convoluted move to get whatever it is wherever it needs to go.

Other than that & what you said it's a mystery but they have their reasons. :cool:

- A

I've seen short trains move things like lead, cobalt, some weird heavy stuff, have like 3-4 engines on 6-7 railcars.:cool:

I know as (:P(K) said amtk doubles up electrics after they come out of the shop, and as i've seen CRSA, (NJT), and often they will tow units empty that need fuel, and sometimes they have to do some convoluted move to get whatever it is wherever it needs to go.

Other than that & what you said it's a mystery but they have their reasons. :cool:

- A

Yeah I don't second guess 'em I just make with the pics B)

Yeah I don't second guess 'em I just make with the pics :(

I often suspect some 'roads do things just for my camera, however as special as i am, or as any of us are, i doubt it would ever even enter their minds in day to day ops. :cool::o:o

It is interesting how many B units they have compared to the size of their motive fleet. I'm guessing they have them hooked up when they don't want to have a manned unit in B position when it could be doing something else.

- A

Archived