Random Lightbulb things

lilbluefoxie

I forget which station it is, but I saw two odd groups of lightbulbs, one was between the tracks by the steal beams, it was this thing with 4 lightbulbs in a row, then by the platform ive seen these things with 3 lightbulbs in them, what do these things do?

A picture would help, your... description does not really help.

The 3 yellow light bulbs you see on the platforms is to notify the crew of that train to hold the train in the station for whatever reason the train dispatcher wants, be it if the train is early or they want the train to make a connection with an arriving train across the platform. In the terminals, those lights are green which tell the crew to go ahead and depart the terminal. The 4 light bulbs you see are temporary lighting that the MOW people add to the areas in which they are working in so that they can see the tracks better.

The 3 yellow light bulbs you see on the platforms is to notify the crew of that train to hold the train in the station for whatever reason the train dispatcher wants, be it if the train is early or they want the train to make a connection with an arriving train across the platform. In the terminals, those lights are green which tell the crew to go ahead and depart the terminal. The 4 light bulbs you see are temporary lighting that the MOW people add to the areas in which they are working in so that they can see the tracks better.

Julio, the bank lights have 5 bulbs, not 4 but I think that was the item in question. And boy do those things get hot when they are in use.

No need to count - they work off the third rail. 600v/120v = 5

Now when they set up for something like a "chip out" and the tunnel is filled with bank lights, what do they power them from? Do they tie in to the nearest 3rd rail that remains on?

Even when they have a tunnel full of them during a GO? I know that how they do it when they put up 1 or 2.

For large tunnel sections they will wire the lights together and power them from an adjacent tracks 3rd rail. Heavy gauge clips to an electrical box with a on/off switch

Archived