NEC Street Wall question

mark1447

I notice in the Bronx and in Westchester along the NEC there is 2 walls[1 each side] blocking the view of the NEC while crossing it. Even buildings in most areas have it blocked.

Why is it like this? Is it cuz of danger of fallen or something? Or the Diesel fumes of the locomotives?

The MNCRR doesnt have this, except New Haven Line when it connects to NEC after Pelham...

Its because of the overhead wire on the NEC. MN uses 3rd rail on the ground so those walls are not needed.

Correct let me expand on this a little though its also so morons don't try to jump off and on to the wires or throw junk on them.

Andy, the PRR and DL&W both follwed this practice long before Conrail, I do not honestly know for the New Haven though since thats out of my territory.

Its because of the overhead wire on the NEC. MN uses 3rd rail on the ground so those walls are not needed.

When conrail took over it modified all the bridges in its territory. Even the bridges over PATH still retain the walls, because there waas juice in the wires that are (and used to be) there.

- A

but how can the overhead be a problem if its not even close to the street, or above?

Correct let me expand on this a little though its also so morons don't try to jump off and on to the wires or throw junk on them.

Andy, the PRR and DL&W both follwed this practice long before Conrail, I do not honestly know for the New Haven though since thats out of my territory.

I have photos of a few bridges that were modified after the takeover, it coincided with the grade crossing removal project(s). Most notable is the effect on levittown station, which has a fairly new bridge with corrugated sheet metal over a steel frame for sides, about the same age as the station building, on the trenton bound side there are large concrete blocks to stop people from driving up onto the low level platform, which was extended across the former site of the road. The parking lot and surrounding areas also have modifications from electrification and discontinuation of freight on a spur that runs directly under the trenton side's platform and alterations stemming from the removal of the grade crossing. You can still find conrail era spikes from when the new ties over the road were laid down, and then pulled out when the concrete ties were put in.

- A

Archived