Years of Preserving old train Cars/Buses?

mark1447

How long does the (NYCT) preserve old train cars and even buses? Until they are in bad shape and parts can't be found?

Old cars such as IRT Low Voltage and GMC Fishbowl[bus]

*Added buses since i don't wanna make a topic of the same question..

At BERA there are a number of members interested in saving an R62A single when that time comes.

As for the answer to your question it depends. There was a lot of "cleanup" if you will in the 60's and 70's. It all depends on who is in charge at the MTA. Seems every so often someone goes on a witch hunt for the old stuff but a LOT of people in positions of power want it saved so hopefully we won't have to worry about that again for a while.

If you're ever fortunate enough to hear the tale of how the Lo-V's were saved, you can get an understanding of this...however I won't be the one to repeat it here in a public forum

At BERA there are a number of members interested in saving an R62A single when that time comes.

As for the answer to your question it depends. There was a lot of "cleanup" if you will in the 60's and 70's. It all depends on who is in charge at the MTA. Seems every so often someone goes on a witch hunt for the old stuff but a LOT of people in positions of power want it saved so hopefully we won't have to worry about that again for a while.

If you're ever fortunate enough to hear the tale of how the Lo-V's were saved, you can get an understanding of this...however I won't be the one to repeat it here in a public forum

Aw man but it's a great story.

Ya me too, tho i heard they used different parts including some of todays parts to keep it running...

Some parts on cars are interchangeable, but without knowing the specifics of each car, seeing a diagram, and maybe even asking a question or two I couldn't tell you for sure. What I mean by that is for instance, if one of the R-33 ML cars had an unfixable brake stand for some reason, one could be taken off an R-32 as a replacement.

And as the Lo-V at BERA proves, substitute compressors can be used.

However as for the Lo-V's in New York, those cars have all been completely restored and work much better without the more modern equipment underneath them. That was a "band aid" until the restoration could be completed, and is not advisable as it can cause problems when parts are asked to work in a way other than they are designed.

Some parts on cars are interchangeable, but without knowing the specifics of each car, seeing a diagram, and maybe even asking a question or two I couldn't tell you for sure. What I mean by that is for instance, if one of the R-33 ML cars had an unfixable brake stand for some reason, one could be taken off an R-32 as a replacement.

And as the Lo-V at BERA proves, substitute compressors can be used.

However as for the Lo-V's in New York, those cars have all been completely restored and work much better without the more modern equipment underneath them. That was a "band aid" until the restoration could be completed, and is not advisable as it can cause problems when parts are asked to work in a way other than they are designed.

So most likely interchangeable parts would come from its former fleet? Like you said R33ML it would get a part of an R32 , and im guessing R38/40/42 SMEEs?

Low Voltage cars, does any of its sister fleets have parts it can exchange with? I'm guessing yes..

If you know what i mean?

So most likely interchangeable parts would come from its former fleet? Like you said R33ML it would get a part of an R32 , and im guessing R38/40/42 SMEEs?

Low Voltage cars, does any of its sister fleets have parts it can exchange with? I'm guessing yes..

If you know what i mean?

R38/40/42 SMEEs some parts are interchangeable, I'd need to check some literature I have laying around for what is and isn't. As for the brake stands, however, only an R32 stand would be compatible with the R33 ML. It's possible an ME-43 valve (such as on the R38/40/42) could be made to be compatible with a few modifications as it is still a SMEE valve, but then the cars would not be historically accurate as they never ran with that configuration at any time, which of course would defeat the purpose of doing such a thing.

The Lo-V, some parts do have interchangeability with other cars...in fact some air brake components can be used with Arnines.

R38/40/42 SMEEs some parts are interchangeable, I'd need to check some literature I have laying around for what is and isn't. As for the brake stands, however, only an R32 stand would be compatible with the R33 ML. It's possible an ME-43 valve (such as on the R38/40/42) could be made to be compatible with a few modifications as it is still a SMEE valve, but then the cars would not be historically accurate as they never ran with that configuration at any time, which of course would defeat the purpose of doing such a thing.

The Lo-V, some parts do have interchangeability with other cars...in fact some air brake components can be used with Arnines.

What about an R36 , can an R32/33 and R38-42 be used or no?

And for brake stand, you mean the brake that stands in the cab right? [Just want to be sure]

What about an R36 , can an R32/33 and R38-42 be used or no?

And for brake stand, you mean the brake that stands in the cab right? [Just want to be sure]

R26/28/29/33/36 all use the exact same stand as the R32.

And yes that's what I mean - "The stand that a train operator's brake handle goes into."

R26/28/29/33/36 all use the exact same stand as the R32.

And yes that's what I mean - "The stand that a train operator's brake handle goes into."

Thanks! Im guessing the stand in R27/R30 are not the same as all fleets from R26-36?

Archived