R68a's Enablers

North-Eastern T/O

I was working at Brighton Beach yesterday and saw for my first time the R68a's Enablers buttons. I hate were they put the Left side button, you have to put your arm across your face. I can see myself for getting to put the train in full service and using my left hand to push it and putting the train going BIE. The right one not much better but at least you don't have to reach across your body. Why did they not put them in the middle there is room from the buttons they used? I am guess that the R62's will have the buttons put in the same places as these.

Robert

I was working at Brighton Beach yesterday and saw for my first time the R68a's Enablers buttons. I hate were they put the Left side button, you have to put your arm across your face. I can see myself for getting to put the train in full service and using my left hand to push it and putting the train going BIE. The right one not much better but at least you don't have to reach across your body. Why did they not put them in the middle there is room from the buttons they used? I am guess that the R62's will have the buttons put in the same places as these.

Robert

I actually heard about this, that the R68a's were being retrofitted with enablers.. Can you elaborate as to what these buttons do. I'm a little lost. :(

Thanks Rob.

Zach

Enablers is like a baby sitter for the C/R. The C/R can't open the doors on the train unless the T/O is pushing the button on the side were the platform is. If the C/R tyres to open up on the other side the doors won't open. So the C/R Master Door Contrer had now a new light that lights up when the T/O Pushes the button for that side, if the light does not light up the doors won't open.

Robert

I once saw a TSS on the (N) line take over the train from the T/O for no particular reason, I guess he wanted some handel time. But at the first 2 or 3 stops he did not hit the enablers so the C/R got on the PA and said something to the effect of "there is a box in the cab with 2 lights, push the button on the right side so I can let people off the train, thank you!' This was on an R40s and the cab door was open and the TSS went WTF untill the T/O told him what to do. I had a nice chuckl to my self of that one.

I once saw a TSS on the (N) line take over the train from the T/O for no particular reason, I guess he wanted some handel time. But at the first 2 or 3 stops he did not hit the enablers so the C/R got on the PA and said something to the effect of "there is a box in the cab with 2 lights, push the button on the right side so I can let people off the train, thank you!' This was on an R40s and the cab door was open and the TSS went WTF untill the T/O told him what to do. I had a nice chuckl to my self of that one.

As I said many times before, some of our supervisors at the MTA don't know squat. The TSS should of known this, since they suppose to show the T/Os and C/Rs this feature and what it is about. Welcome to the MTA.

As I said many times before, some of our supervisors at the MTA don't know squat. The TSS should of known this, since they suppose to show the T/Os and C/Rs this feature and what it is about. Welcome to the MTA.

Oh boy, I feel so excited. Maybe that's what happens all those times the doors don't open for a while.

It might very well be, I was shocked that he did not know what he was doing. His train operation was a little shakey, but I could be that he had not had handel time in a while.

Don't want to sound rude, but don't cover for supervisors. No excuses for them. They suppose to know more than us, and some of them try to show it, and just end up embarrassing themselves. When something goes wrong, they are the ones making you move, and getting behind the wheel (in DOB) or controls (in DOS), and trying to show you why they are supervisors. If his operation of trains is shaky, he needs alot more handle time, as a rank and file T/O again.

Sad thing is this is what I want to become once I get (if I get) into RTO. I would never stay as a T/O for my career, and if I actually like the DOB Division, I would take the upcoming Dispatcher exam (January), and about 10 years from that, put in the resume and papers to become a Training Superintendent. Don't want to be supervising dispatchers and drivers. Rather be teaching newbies how to operate a bus. But I hate the DOB division, so I would hope everything works out, I get into RTO as a T/O , and then make it as TSS, possibly by 2015+. I know 3 T/Os (possibly 4 if everything works out for one poster), who I would write up just for Ss and Gs :(:D:D.

Archived