Fatal stabbing suspect Cyan Brown, 16, was the aggressor in Xmas Eve subway fracas

CPBO

BY Edgar Sandoval, Rocco Parascandola and John Lauinger

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

A Queens teenager who stabbed a man to death in a subway was facing manslaughter charges Tuesday night after cops said she was to blame in the Christmas Eve fracas.

Cyan Brown, 16, was originally portrayed as a plucky victim who stabbed Thomas Winston, 29, in self-defense after a group of men tried to attack her.

"She was the main aggressor, without a doubt," a police source told The Daily News.

Brown got into a shouting match with Winston after one of her male friends bumped into him on an F train at the 21st St.-Queensbridge station.

Winston, who was with a group of pals, asked the man to apologize, setting off a confrontation that apparently spilled on to the sidewalk in front of a chicken joint.

"You could say excuse me," the slain man said, according to cops.

That's when Brown, who lives in the nearby Queensbridge Houses, got involved in the battle of words.

"She takes over, gets mouthy," the source said.

Moments later, she pulled a knife and stabbed Winston, cops said.

"She reaches in her bag, takes out a weapon, lunges at him and cuts him," the source said.

Winston's friends chased after Brown and tried to drag her off the F train - but she escaped.

Witnesses told cops it appeared the teen was fleeing from a gang of aggressive men.

Brown's mom later told reporters her daughter was protecting herself from the men who tried to fondle her when she stabbed Winston.

Cops also bought the self-defense claim up to a point but after further investigation, they poked holes in that account of the stabbing.

Brown turned herself in for questioning Tuesday afternoon at the 114th Precinct. She is expected to be arraigned today on manslaughter and weapons charges.

"We located an eyewitness to the stabbing," Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne said, adding that the witness picked Brown out of a lineup. "As a result, she has been arrested."

Winston was the father of a baby girl.

He was living in a homeless shelter and he was trying to turn his life around, his family said.

Relatives portrayed him as a peaceful person who never should have been killed on his way to get a subway train.

"When you stab somebody in the heart it should be murder first-degree," said his aunt, Diane Greenspan.

"I hope justice will be served."

With Dave Goldiner

Ah Queensbridge Houses. Someone threw a cinder block off the roof one night and hit my bus when I was working the Q-102 back in 1990.

Just another day in the pro-js...

Time to shut that shithole down and execute as many warrants as possible.

"Shut down" doesn't mean what you think it means. It's more of a lockdown.

I think they should do that on a monthly cycle. Imagine all the collars to be made and the fear factor that would be created. To bad the NYPD does not have the balls to actually go after criminals there days.

I think they should do that on a monthly cycle. Imagine all the collars to be made and the fear factor that would be created. To bad the NYPD does not have the balls to actually go after criminals there days.

That would be most epic. In one day you could turn this City around if they started doing stuff like that.

Send it to both. Also include a letter of gratitude from the Sean Bell family...you tell me which one they'll tack up on the fridge.

Where the hell is Officer Phillip W. Cardillo Way?

http://www.odmp.org/officer/2768-police-officer-phillip-w.-cardillo

This City has the balls to name a street after some skell, but not after a real hero.

The assassination of PO Cardillo was the Citys' "**** you" to the NYPD. The fact that Ben Ward later went on to become Commissioner is proof that his actions were fully endorsed by the City. The man is partly responsible for the death of a police officer and he served no punishment for his actions.

Charlie Rangel = PERP

Ben Ward = PERP

Louis Farrakhan = PERP

Louis 17X Dupree = PERP

They should all rot.

The assassination of PO Cardillo was the Citys' "**** you" to the NYPD. The fact that Ben Ward later went on to become Commissioner is proof that his actions were fully endorsed by the City. The man is partly responsible for the death of a police officer and he served no punishment for his actions.

Charlie Rangel = PERP

Ben Ward = PERP

Louis Farrakhan = PERP

Louis 17X Dupree = PERP

They should all rot.

Amen to that.

Archived