R8 Newtown line reactivation info!!!

metsfan

Got this from an email:

On Friday January 15, 2010, SEPTA met with PA-TEC, DVRPC and 25 regional legislators from Bucks and Montgomery Counties for a briefing on the R8 Fox Chase-Newtown line. SEPTA provided the group with a detailed history of the Newtown line since 1980 and the challenges associated with restoring service.

Following SEPTA’s presentation, John Scott of PA-TEC delivered a 25 minute presentation which outlined regional problems associated with transportation and capacity issues on SEPTA’s commuter rail system in the Lower Bucks/Eastern Montgomery County areas. Mr. Scott’s presentation focused on the need to analyze the R8 from a regional perspective, instead of the traditional method of determining ridership capture areas as was done in the past. Further, the presentation also focused on the need to study alternatives and underlying causes for the need of increasing parking capacity at Jenkintown, Glenside, and other stations in the area.

The presentation was followed by a brief Q&A session. There were no objections raised to studying the R8 corridor as an alternative to parking expansion by the legislators. Following the briefing, several legislators indicated they would pursue a study for the reactivation of service on this corridor.

SEPTA CFO Rich Burnfield suggested that the legislators look to DVRPC for initiating the study of the R8 Newtown corridor.

PA-TEC will provide more information as it becomes available.

-------------------------------

:eek: :tup: :eek: :tup: :eek:

This might just happen after all..... :eek:

- A

If they indeed are going to go through with this, I suspect it will be electrified. SEPTA has made it clear over the years it is not a fan of diesels. Could that change with NJT's order of dual modes? Maybe, but we my bets are on full electrification.

It's true, but this time seems different, this time everyone is pushing for it, it means jobs, better quality of life, less traffic.

- A

as I seen with different transit projects I dont get my hopes up until construction starts but even then projects have been cancelled when construction has already started both here in Canada and in the USA

as I seen with different transit projects I dont get my hopes up until construction starts but even then projects have been cancelled when construction has already started both here in Canada and in the USA

This time the push is coming from both the state, counties, residents, transit consultants and many, many outsiders from other parts of the country and other parts of the world who have considerable expertise in pax transportation. It may be several more months before anything is seen in any budgets, but it will be re-activated, the momentum is there this time.

As (:P(K) stated it would likely be 100% electrified to save time and money vs some kind of specialized service.

- A

This time the push is coming from both the state, counties, residents, transit consultants and many, many outsiders from other parts of the country and other parts of the world who have considerable expertise in pax transportation. It may be several more months before anything is seen in any budgets, but it will be re-activated, the momentum is there this time.

As (;)(K) stated it would likely be 100% electrified to save time and money vs some kind of specialized service.

- A

I would wait and see but It would be great for SEPTA to expand

I would wait and see but It would be great for SEPTA to expand

Oh absolutely. They are one of the few transit systems that have a huge unused footprint of existing rails and so on, even their bus routes could do more, all they need is $.

- A

If at all, they should have, a long time ago, created at least one bu route that connected Frankford Terminal or Fox Chase to Newtown. Or, cheaper and more convenient, EXTEND THE 24 TO NEWTOWN instead of ending it abruptly at Southampton, which is not far from it. :septa: sucks! Even though thay have a good fleet of vehicles!

Archived