Can you use a Walkie talkie to listen to MNRR?

gregorygrice

In New York State the legality of possessing a scanner (in a vehicle) as an licensed amateur radio operator is open to interpretation. Bottom line, the way the code is worded you can't just have a ham license and have a scanner.

Here's the applicable excerpt from the New York State V&T code:

Section 397. Equipping motor vehicles with radio receiving sets capable of receiving signals on frequencies

allocated for Police use. A person, not a police officer or peace officer, acting pursuant to his special duties, who

equips a motor vehicle with a radio receiving set capable of receiving signals on frequencies allocated for police use or

knowingly uses a motor vehicle so equipped or who in any way knowingly interferes with the transmission of radio

messages by the police without having first secured a permit so to do from the person authorized to issue such a permit

by the local governing body or board of the city, town or village in which such person resides, or where such person

resides outside of a city or village in a county having a county police department by the board of supervisors of such

county, is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars, or imprisonment not

exceeding six months, or both. Nothing in this section contained shall be construed to apply to any person who holds a

valid amateur radio operator's license issued by the federal communications commission and who operates a duly

licensed portable mobile transmitter and in connection therewith a receiver or receiving set on frequencies exclusively

allocated by the federal communications commission to duly licensed radio amateurs.

There are also sections of the New York State Penal Code applicable to scanner use in vehicles making it (in most cases) a misdemeanor to possess one.

In order to possess a scanner in a vehicle in New York City you are required to obtain a permit from the city.

Doesn't this pretty much say you can?

Nothing in this section contained shall be construed to apply to any person who holds a

valid amateur radio operator's license issued by the federal communications commission and who operates a duly

licensed portable mobile transmitter and in connection therewith a receiver or receiving set on frequencies exclusively

allocated by the federal communications commission to duly licensed radio amateurs.

Don't forget, you have the chase trucks who use illegal radios to listen to police frequencies to get to a scene of an accident first.

From what i've heard, it was better before the PD started cracking down on that shit. You'd have a tow truck at an MVA before the cops showed up...got those accidents cleaned up real fast. Now you have to call it in over the radio and it's a whole big ******* deal.

From what i've heard, it was better before the PD started cracking down on that shit. You'd have a tow truck at an MVA before the cops showed up...got those accidents cleaned up real fast. Now you have to call it in over the radio and it's a whole big ******* deal.

I agree, and since now there is no more RowTow (Rotational Towing), everything is with DARP now.

I'm licensed and I keep my radio in the car.. while scanning my local I added the New Haven line as well as the other branches in..

heck last time the MN open house when I went on the fall train ride I heard when they were ready to head back the other way.

Personally i've never heard of anyone actually getting in trouble for having a radio in the car. There was a discussion about this on railroad.net and nobody there had ever run into a problem using them while out 'fanning.

Joe is of the group that believes a little courtesy goes a long way when dealing with law enforcement. If you don't give the cop any problems, he won't give you any problems.

Personally i've never heard of anyone actually getting in trouble for having a radio in the car. There was a discussion about this on railroad.net and nobody there had ever run into a problem using them while out 'fanning.

Joe is of the group that believes a little courtesy goes a long way when dealing with law enforcement. If you don't give the cop any problems, he won't give you any problems.

About 20 years ago I was given a hard time (twice) by cops about a scanner (I was a volunteer fire fighter at the time).

The first time I had an old crystal scanner with no police frequencies and the cop "inquired" about it.

The second time I was pulled over for speeding, the cop inquired about the (external) antenna and I told the truth (it was a programmable that time). The cop said if I plea not guilty for the speeding ticket he would write me a ticket for the scanner. I entered a plea of not guilty. A few days later I received a phone call from the cop to remind me of the "deal". After some research I changed my plea.

You mean a scanner, a walkie talkie is to talk to other people, no?

Some Ham Radios also have extended receiver frequencies. If you get the Tech license, for the price of a good scanner you also get a handie-talkie that can transmit all over the metro area too. The license also allows you to carry a scanner in places where they would normally be illegal. They also have PL/CTCSS/DCS* tone compatibility.

Many railfans have already done this.

*PL = Private Line and is the same as:

CTCSS = Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System. Both quiet the receiver until a sub-audible tone is sent with a transmission.

DCS = Digital Coded Squelch. This is a newer system that does pretty much the same thing.

If you hear a tone, that is not any of these systems. That is DTMF, which is older and uses tones like the ones on your telephone.

Explanation Here.

Archived