Removing LIRR & MNRR from MTA.

metsfan

I just think that they are too different from each other & the in-city oprations such as subway & bus to belong in with (MTA). If they were ran (especially LIRR) more effectively i wouldn't have an issue, but it just seems so bogged down & hindered by being tied into (MTA) management & funding. I mean (NJT) effectively runs light rail, bus & main line heavy rail operations not just seamlessly, but (with what seems to me) an attitude that things be done right first time every time, and i think there is something to be said when a commuter/transit rail system can run along side amtrak and :septa: and (MTA) on part of their home turf and look good doing it.

If it required a seperate charter or a private buy-out i would laud this if it did happen. I just feel it could bring, with proper experienced railroad people in management, the entire passenger experience & working conditions up a few notches. I understand the takeover from PRR was good in its time for LIRR, but i think it's time that ended and long island got its railroad back.

MNRR should be called new york central rail system or new york central commuter rail, have Hudson division (includes west of hudson operations), Harlem division (includes stations inside the city), and New Haven division (partnership with CT). Bring back named trains, run limited service to albany especially holidays & in summer, re-open the beacon line to pax service, re-open as many older stations as possible, and re-activate the putnam line if possible as well as the other shorter branch lines long these routes where possible, have service be at a level where people could leave their cars at home, even create possible connecting bus services to feed stations with park/ride etc.

Just some ideas fueled by years of research & a desire for the NY railroads to improve a great deal.

- A

Archived