Engineers handbook

gregorygrice

For Metro North it's different because they have their own tracks. On the NEC (NH Line) where Amtrak operates as well, I have their handbook, although I don't know how it works with other lines.

Is there a web site that has it?

Thanks for the link.

Roger that. If anyone finds a more updated version, please post a link or source.

I understand that Amtrak engineers are responsible for carrying numberous handbooks depending on the trackage they operate on, and are all responsible for knowing the rules that govern said trackage.

Roger that. If anyone finds a more updated version, please post a link or source.

I understand that Amtrak engineers are responsible for carrying numberous handbooks depending on the trackage they operate on, and are all responsible for knowing the rules that govern said trackage.

I attended an open house at Washington DC's Union Station last year and had a chance to chat with an Amtrak conductor. She showed me all of the forms and manuals they're required to carry on a run. It was shocking.

I attended an open house at Washington DC's Union Station last year and had a chance to chat with an Amtrak conductor. She showed me all of the forms and manuals they're required to carry on a run. It was shocking.

Can you tell us a little of what you remember.

You are not going to find a current edition of the ETT(Employee timetable) or track charts available on line, for as long as its current it cannot be sold or purchased or even put online legally you have to sign it out(at least thats how NJT works also you don't have to buy them they give you a copy). That said they are currently on the 9th edition of NORAC, though not much has changed. NJ Transit changes their special instructions around April, so you may start seeing System timetable 4 popping up for sale at shows, since the guys will take whatever they wrote in the book transfer it and then dump the old one. Track charts change yearly so they maybe out there. I don't think anything can be published online with those however since there is very sensitive material in them.

You are not going to find a current edition of the ETT(Employee timetable) or track charts available on line, for as long as its current it cannot be sold or purchased or even put online legally you have to sign it out(at least thats how NJT works also you don't have to buy them they give you a copy). That said they are currently on the 9th edition of NORAC, though not much has changed. NJ Transit changes their special instructions around April, so you may start seeing System timetable 4 popping up for sale at shows, since the guys will take whatever they wrote in the book transfer it and then dump the old one. Track charts change yearly so they maybe out there. I don't think anything can be published online with those however since there is very sensitive material in them.

Thank you for the update. I'm guessing that current ETT and charts cannot be made public for safety reasons. Am I in the ballpark, or is there more to it than that?

(T)hanks a bunch guys:)

I have the hard copy of it. Not sure if it's online, but I can look. :tup:

Paul, I have the NORAC 9th edition on PDF, you gave me the link. Forgot what it was though. BTW, this is Rich! (RearOfSignal - rr.net)

Nevermind, I found it. http://amtrakengineer.startlogic.com/thamtrakengofficialwebsite/index.html It has the NORAC 9th Edition, and some others. Though I'm not sure how up to date they are. The MNR rulebook is an old one, A LOT has changed since then.

Archived