How to go about affecting change with NJT.

metsfan

What can we do to help stave off these doomsday service cuts and fare increases? What can be done? Do we all have to march on trenton to get the people in power to raise the gas tax? Seriously, this scenario is basically turning NJT into amtrak in terms of fares.

- A

What can we do to help stave off these doomsday service cuts and fare increases? What can be done? Do we all have to march on trenton to get the people in power to raise the gas tax? Seriously, this scenario is basically turning NJT into amtrak in terms of fares.

- A

From what I've been reading, NJT got bailed out. So no doomsday. Just keep doing whatcha doin :o

25 percent fare hikes across the system, lots of bus service reduced or eliminated, light rail service intervals 30 minutes vs 20, RiverLINE having late service cut back to burlington. I am unsure about contracted carriers (Coach usa, Mertz, Academy etc), but it likely won't be good either. Rail service is going to see the elimination of the off peak round trip option, one way tickets only. On board purchase will make a $15.75 pre-purchase ride to/from newark penn a 28 dollar affair.

- A

25 percent fare hikes across the system, lots of bus service reduced or eliminated, light rail service intervals 30 minutes vs 20, RiverLINE having late service cut back to burlington. I am unsure about contracted carriers (Coach usa, Mertz, Academy etc), but it likely won't be good either. Rail service is going to see the elimination of the off peak round trip option, one way tickets only. On board purchase will make a $15.75 pre-purchase ride to/from newark penn a 28 dollar affair.

- A

Find 29,999 like-minded people and each of you contribute $10,000 of your savings to (NJT). Why not, if you really want to prevent the cuts.

The State of NJ is billions in the hole and is required by law to balance its budget. Any money given to transit must be borrowed or taken from somewhere else. Raising taxes during a recession makes zero sense.

- A

Imagine, a trip from Toms River to NY and back will cost $40! The fares will be on par with Hampton Jitney!

People will start driving to NY instead. This is going to be a disaster.

I cannot imagine this going through. If it does, NJT is gonna be so bad even LI Bus looks great.:confused:

It will be bad if some sort of compromise isn't reached.

As far as raising taxes in a recession, you cannot recover from a recession unless you spend, if it means raising taxes to have money to do the spending, that's what needs to be done. The only thing that ended the great depression was ww2, since we don't have, and don't want ww3, gotta raise taxes.

djia1900-2009.png

- A

Archived