LIRR ridership at modern-day record last year

Trainspotter

LIRR ridership at modern-day record last year

Ridership on the Long Island Rail Road hit a modern-day record with 86.1 million passengers last year, the highest number in nearly six decades, officials said.

LIRR President Helena Williams attributed the growth - a 4.9 percent increase from 2006 - to "higher gas prices as well as job growth in New York City." She also cited the railroad's improved on-time performance, which reached a record-setting 96.5 percent for last month.

"Our research shows customer satisfaction is directly tied to on-time performance, and the LIRR is continuing to deliver in that important category," she said.

Full story: newsday_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - February 13, 2008

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm not surprised. The expense of owning an automobile today (gas and insurance) is certainly enough to make mass transit a more appealing option.

I've driven, been a auto and bus passenger to and taken rail between NYC and trenton, i gotta say, rail will always be my first choice by far! If i lived on long island now as i did a year ago, i'd choose rail again over being driven/taxi. I expect the east side access project will also bring increased ridership.

- Andy

Archived