F Train

Dumb4life

Due to a police investigation at the Jay Street-Borough Hall Station:

Select Brooklyn-bound (F) trains are running on the (G) line from the Roosevelt Avenue-Jackson Heights Station to the Bergen Street Station.

Select Brooklyn-bound trains are running on the (D) line from the West 4th Street-Washington Square Station to the Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue Station.

Please expect delays in service on the (F) trains at this time.

12-9?

I took the (F) at Jay Street at around 6:00pm. It was very crowded (imagine 5 people packed together touching the doors). The late train ended up running express to Kings Highway and then local to West 8 Street, but it stalled there to wait for an (F) to leave the terminal (which makes no sense because what would be the point of running the train express if it had to wait anyway?). The other local train caught up just one station away at Neptune Avenue by the time my (F) got the signal to continue to Coney Island. And at Coney Island, the train across the platform read "(F) 6 Avenue Local via West End."

Yes it was a 12-9...

There was another service advisory regarding a police investigation at Cypress Avenue on the (6) at about 11:30 last night. Anyone know if THAT was a 12-9 as well?

No one has mentioned whether either the Jay Street or Cypress Avenue investigations were suicides. Regardless as to whether this was a suicide, an accidental fall from the platform to the tracks, someone being shoved or tripped or whatever the case might be, this turning into a genuine plague and it's really unfortunate for the the train crews involved and the people on the platforms and trains who have had to witness this horrific acts. It really doesn't matter whether this is the last such incident to occur this year or whether the trend will continue; the rate of occurrence is startling. It's been discussed that employees are familiarized with this type of event during school car and I'm sure that stories are shared from time to time. Still, I doubt that any number of pictures and stories and lessons on alertness and how to react safely and within policy to ensure the public's safety and even the sanity of those involved could ever possibly prepare anyone for this, and I doubt that it makes coping with it any easier.

Whatever the story might be, the crews, the T/O in particular, will have to live with this for the rest of his or her life and therapy and doctors can only do so much to keep the scene from being replayed over and over in the minds of those involved. There isn't much that the (MTA) can do to prevent 12-9's of any type from occurring, and there's much less - slightly more than nothing - than an operator or conductor on a train, be it packed beyond capacity or not in service, can do to avoid this either. The papers, rare survivors and attorneys would love to think and print stories that employees can stop a million pounds of metal and flesh in the length of this sentence, but just felt like hitting the person down: it doesn't work like that. And it's not like an employee can shrug this off and call his wife or her husband to say that he or she will be a few minutes late for dinner either.

I almost cried and vomited when I hit a cat than darted out of the bushes and across a road. Though it was an accident and that stretch of road was notorious for cars hitting animals (I lost a dog and cat, and my neighbors lost three dogs within ten years there), I kept thinking that it was my fault. I can't even begin to imagine how a train operator, conductor or locomotive engineer on a railroad feels after they've struck a human being through no fault or their own.

And it's not like an employee can shrug this off and call his wife or her husband to say that he or she will be a few minutes late for dinner either

Really? Judging by some comments i heard from those on other rail sites who never operated a train in thier lives they say"oh get over it" "suck it up"...

Smh...

Really? Judging by some comments i heard from those on other rail sites who never operated a train in thier lives they say"oh get over it" "suck it up"...

Smh...

Of course. They're speaking from first-hand experience. Some of the most accomplished and well-regarded people in the world. As a matter of fact, some of those people have managed to be the best president that the U.S. has ever had, the finest employees that at least six different departments and companies have ever hired, the people who will reduce the unemployment rate to it's lowest in history, the people who have cures for AIDS, HIV and every form of cancer, the people who have never broken a law and the people who commit extraordinary acts of selfless heroism at least once a day.

Whatever.

Archived