Nostalgia Train

r40s 4501

Saturday, July 31 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

CONEY ISLAND BOUND!

$45, children (5 - 17) $20; Museum members $30, Children (5 - 17) $15

Includes New York Transit Museum admission.

Join us on our ever popular Boardwalk-bound Coney Island Nostalgia Train, made up of R1/9 cars of the Independent Subway System. We'll begin our excursion at the Transit Museum, where you'll have exclusive access to the exhibits and store before the Museum is open to the public. Then "all aboard" the trains on the Museum's platform level for a scenic, two-hour ride to Coney Island on tracks above and below ground. Visit the amusement park, take a dip in the ocean, and enjoy all the area has to offer, or stay on the train for additional rides. Baseball fans can skip the train ride back and attend a Brooklyn Cyclones vs. Staten Island Yankees game, which starts at 6 p.m. at nearby MCU Park. Cyclones game not included in tour price.

Saturday, August 21 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

TO THE ROCKAWAYS, BY RAIL AND BUS!

$45, children (5 - 17) $20; Museum members $30, Children (5 - 17) $15

Includes New York Transit Museum admission.

Take in the summer seaside on our first ever nostalgia train and bus trip! This special combination caper will feature both the R1/9 cars and the Museum's vintage buses from the 1940s and 50's. Meet at the Museum where our vintage rolling stock will be ready and waiting for you to board. Then its off to Rockaway Park in a spectacular ride over Jamaica Bay, arriving just in time for lunch. Upon arrival, stroll to the local beach or ride one of our vintage buses to Gateway National Park. You can spend all afternoon enjoying the beach or take turns riding each vintage bus. Either way, it's a summer experience you won't quickly forget!

yet again these trips are great and all but it depends on who has 45$ for both trips and can be costly in the end run. for non museum members and loose out on 30$

Man.. Forget this bull! I was hoping for the IRT Train Of Many Color and ride the R17 + Redbird :P! Now i gotta wait till next yr if it happens...

TOMC FTW!!!

So your not going to go on what will be a unique trip just because there not using cars that were recently retired? That makes alot of sense, oh well less people to deal with.

So your not going to go on what will be a unique trip just because there not using cars that were recently retired? That makes alot of sense, oh well less people to deal with.

No, I do plan on going to the Lo-V ones. On June 6~

And theres nothing you have to deal with..

Man.. Forget this bull! I was hoping for the IRT Train Of Many Color and ride the R17 + Redbird :P! Now i gotta wait till next yr if it happens...

TOMC FTW!!!

tomc is wayy Overrated!:tdown: and they need a lot done before they can run again on trips but they was used last year on the irt white plains nostalgia ride in june.

tomc is wayy Overrated!:tdown: and they need a lot done before they can run again on trips but they was used last year on the irt white plains nostalgia ride in june.

I wonder if the (MTA)s gonna put the R33ML back at the Museum.

I dont feel the TOMC is overrated, they are better then the R1/9.. Well in my view as an IRT Fan~

Just like the R40s, the R33s are a space holder. There is no reason for them to be in the museum now.

Yep, they can be placed at any time the TA chooses. I do remember seeing the Redbirds at the museum back in 2003 though.

Yep, they can be placed at any time the TA chooses. I do remember seeing the Redbirds at the museum back in 2003 though.

R33ML's have been in there many times. Basically whenever the R12/15/17/33WF go out for inspection prior to a trip, a placeholder is required on A2 track so it's either the Lo-Vs or the R33ML's, depending.

It's not really the TA that decides since they could really care less.

Correct. You and I both know who decides.

I wonder if the (MTA)s gonna put the R33ML back at the Museum.

I dont feel the TOMC is overrated, they are better then the R1/9.. Well in my view as an IRT Fan~

The point is not what's "better." The point is that these trips are operated for a wider audience than just "railfans" and when you say Nostalgia Train to the general public that visits the museum, they'd like to ride some of the older equipment, not just what are basically carbon steel IRT sized versions of cars that are still in service with a distinct color of paint.

They want paddle fans, rattan seats, and incandescent light bulbs. It provides a very distinctive experience.

The point is not what's "better." The point is that these trips are operated for a wider audience than just "railfans" and when you say Nostalgia Train to the general public that visits the museum, they'd like to ride some of the older equipment, not just what are basically carbon steel IRT sized versions of cars that are still in service with a distinct color of paint.

They want paddle fans, rattan seats, and incandescent light bulbs. It provides a very distinctive experience.

So why aren't the old BMT cars run on fan trips anymore?(BMT D, Triplex, etc.)

So why aren't the old BMT cars run on fan trips anymore?(BMT D, Triplex, etc.)

Condition is not suitable to be operated for the public. To be operable for the public, a car must be completely presentable, restored to a specific time period's appearance reasonably accurately, and of course be able to run. They are undergoing restoration, however, so it is hopeful that someday they will be able to run again. Some cars are in better condition than others. However to run a trip, enough of the cars in a particular class must be both operable and presentable. In the case of the BMT cars, "we're not quite there yet"

Archived