NJ Transit May Restore Bus Service At Liberty State Park

Majestic412

:tup: NJ Transit is working with Hudson County officials to restore weekend shuttle service at Liberty State Park.

The service was cut last month as part of statewide service reductions. NJ Transit officials pointed to the scant ridership on the 305 Liberty State Park shuttle.

For $1.35 riders could get an all-day pass to ride the shuttle around the park.

Cutting the 305 and another shuttle, the 981 route between Grove Street and Port Liberte in Jersey City, saved a combined $400,000 NJ Transit officials said.

Sam Pesin, president of Friends of Liberty State Park, and Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy came out against the cuts.

Their pleas seem to have reached Hudson County Executive Tom DeGise, who asked the county Board of Freeholders to allocate up to $12,000 for the shuttle.

The freeholders voted Thursday to allow DeGise to enter into an agreement with the Hudson County Improvement Authority and NJ Transit. The resolution calls for spending up to $12,000, which would be matched by NJ Transit.

Freeholder Bill O'Dea, of Jersey City, said he hopes service can be restored by next weekend.

"NJ Transit and the county are working cooperatively to restore the service," NJ Transit spokeswoman Penny Bassett Hackett said.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2010/06/hudson_county_officials_works.html

At least something is being done to get the 305 back.

As for the 981, those Port Liberte people didn't put up a fight, they just made their own service. Now the Lafayette section of Jersey City is left with only one service to downtown Jersey City and thats the Red & Tan #4 route. I know alot of people in the area who don't like taking the 4 are either just opting for the light rail, or take the NJT #6 route to Journal Square.

Ugh, i would not want foreign visitor's impressions of NJ to be affected by riding R&T.

I think CC should have a 2nd job, be a conductor or bus op, see how easy it is vs sitting in AC all day in trenton or a limo.

- A

Ugh, i would not want foreign visitor's impressions of NJ to be affected by riding R&T.

Well R&T ran the schedule of the 305 just fine because of the fact NJT were the ones that made it. Was always on time, the regular drivers are very polite. IMO, R&T should retain the 305 so the regular guys can have their run back.

Archived