Some progress

Joe

Ahem...speak for yourself....

BURN

Speaking of the photo Hey I see my foot.

and you missed the joke. the same joke you yourself used when I took some shots of the R9 truck from the stairs. Also, just because I'm not in the shops, doesn't mean I'm not giving the museum lots of volunteering hours.

Also, just because I'm not in the shops, doesn't mean I'm not giving the museum lots of volunteering hours.

My joke was "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" and you totally missed it...don't take me so serious around these parts, if you want me serious send me a text email or call, but not here...

Alright ladies, calm down.

Harry and Leroy: here we see one motor installed in the motor truck of the R9 up at Shore Line. We installed the second motor right after I snapped that photo. We had planned to take a photo with the motor suspended in the air by the crane, but that idea had been forgotten, heh.

1689 gets closer and closer to roaring to life, I can't wait until it goes down the line on its own power again.

Nonetheless, there is still a lot of work that needs to be done in order to make the R9 operable again. Hopefully we'll be able to have the car ready by the end of the season.

Alright ladies, calm down.

Harry and Leroy: here we see one motor installed in the motor truck of the R9 up at Shore Line. We installed the second motor right after I snapped that photo. We had planned to take a photo with the motor suspended in the air by the crane, but that idea had been forgotten, heh.

1689 gets closer and closer to roaring to life, I can't wait until it goes down the line on its own power again.

Nonetheless, there is still a lot of work that needs to be done in order to make the R9 operable again. Hopefully we'll be able to have the car ready by the end of the season.

Hopefully by August...and who the HELL do you think you're calling "ladies?" I'll knock that shiteating grin off your olive oil covered face, boy

(Disclaimer: myself and Joe are friends as many of you know, so to all of you reading this don't get your panties in a bunch about these comments they are JOKES)

And yeah, we forgot to take the picture with the motor in the air. Given the difficulty of the operation, the next chance to get a shot of one of 1689's motors in the air will (hopefully) not be for a very very long time...

Hopefully when we get around to retrucking the car, it can leave the shop under it's own power...with a stinger of course but you and I both know there is more to be done before that...

I hope we don't have to remove the motors from 1689 again, I mean, this has been a "fun" project so far and i've learned a lot, but this is a bitch. I haven't even been around for a lot of things too...kinda kicking myself for missing the building of the new three-phase and the removal of the other motors.

As for the stinger, I know a guy who just loves high voltage electricity. :)

On a serious note though, if we could service the controller and grids while it's under the Broad Street truck, that might be a little easier. The truck is a bit higher than the R9 truck, gives you a little extra room under to climb. As you know though, I tend to have an affinity for cramped spaces.

I hope we don't have to remove the motors from 1689 again, I mean, this has been a "fun" project so far and i've learned a lot, but this is a bitch. I haven't even been around for a lot of things too...kinda kicking myself for missing the building of the new three-phase and the removal of the other motors.

As for the stinger, I know a guy who just loves high voltage electricity. :)

On a serious note though, if we could service the controller and grids while it's under the Broad Street truck, that might be a little easier. The truck is a bit higher than the R9 truck, gives you a little extra room under to climb. As you know though, I tend to have an affinity for cramped spaces.

You also missed putting the armature back in the motor frame. I did that with one other person (hint: our friend who loves high voltage electricity)...

On the serious note, I absolutely agree. The car should be 100% ready to go before we put the trucks underneath it. That means truck complete, tested to make sure the leads will be wired correctly, switch group serviced, master controllers, grids, reversing drum, switch panel contacts, angles, everything.

Retrucking the car should be one of the very last things we do, to be followed only by connecting the motor leads and brake rigging once the truck is in its proper place, and reattaching the shoe beams

Remember, the UE-5 needs servicing as well. I'm sure you're well aware of what happened to the original parts under 1689...

The stuff that is under there now is "a big question mark" as the Chief put it. In fact, we were just on the phone before talking about this very subject. I think the quick action portion was serviced and is ready, but the rest of the valve needs work. In any case, there is still a good deal of time required in the air brake shop before anything is ready.

Remember, the UE-5 needs servicing as well. I'm sure you're well aware of what happened to the original parts under 1689...

The stuff that is under there now is "a big question mark" as the Chief put it. In fact, we were just on the phone before talking about this very subject. I think the quick action portion was serviced and is ready, but the rest of the valve needs work. In any case, there is still a good deal of time required in the air brake shop before anything is ready.

Yes but air brake shop is not really my department I just trust that it will be done on time :) - I've only done air brake work twice up there and once was actually part of the reason the quick action portion is ready.

That's the beauty of having multiple people up at one time, more can get done because two people can work on one thing, two can work on another and things get done much faster. Even that little spot on the AB would have taken much more time if you weren't there because if no one footed the ladder I would have gotten a fiberglass ladder to be safe. Also would have poured the paint into a smaller cup so that if the ladder did slip a little I wouldn't spill more than half a gallon of paint. That would have taken at least another 20 minutes to do all that.

Air brake work is interesting, though I have a long way to go until I can say that I understand it. Reading the air flow diagram is tricky. I was shown a little bit on the test rack with the U-4s that were from Wal-Mart, but not too terribly much.

Air brake work is interesting, though I have a long way to go until I can say that I understand it. Reading the air flow diagram is tricky. I was shown a little bit on the test rack with the U-4s that were from Wal-Mart, but not too terribly much.

Yeah that exploded UE-5 diagram is just "forget-about-it-status" to me. Don't feel bad if you can't get it though. There are TWO people in the entire COUNTRY who understand those valves well enough to service them, and we just happen to know ONE of them.

Given my BMT aspirations, my goal is to get better with welding, body, and structural work.

Been there done that, in the rain and I don't mind doing that. The last stinger I saw up there was very questionable though.

Stinger worked just great this weekend. We connected two of them and attached one to the pole and one to the wire. The one that likes to slide around went on the wire. It worked quite well, I did that part myself.

Joe already threw his first 600V knife switch. Just sayin'...

What's that supposed to mean? ;)

You know, I was shocked with the megger on 500V, and then proceeded to ask if I could be shocked again. I don't know about you, but I kinda like that feeling.

What's that supposed to mean? ;)

You know, I was shocked with the megger on 500V, and then proceeded to ask if I could be shocked again. I don't know about you, but I kinda like that feeling.

Tell you girl that don't tell me...

Heh

• 2 weeks later...

BTW as an update to this thread MOST of 1689's truck is back together. All necessary welding/solder work has been completed (this was minor and unrelated to the structure of the truck), most of the truck has the cotter pins back in it, the car borne tripping device was reinstalled, and only a few things remain. Namely, dropping grease into the gear case, cottering up the gear case nuts/bolts, and possibly a second coat of paint. Also remaining is installing the cleats so that the motor leads are placed correctly and regreasing the center casting. After the truck is placed back underneath the R9, the shoe beams will be reattached.

So we are nearing the end. Soon 1689 will be fully operational again, barring any unforeseen setbacks.

Archived