Putting all the Chinatown buses under one roof

The Chinatown buses are really helpful for those who want a cheap ride to various destinations. Currently there are buses to almost any destination possible along the East Coast, and some buses are now having destinations further inland such as Chicago, Mississippi, Michigan, Tennessee, Alabama etc... there are so many bus lines yet, they are plaguing the eastern side of Chinatown.

How about putting all of them under ONE ROOF?

Of course, the answer is where?

I decided to do this: build a multi-purpose complex on the south side of Delancey from Clinton to Norfolk. Currently they are occupied by vacant/parking lots. My intent is to have all of those buses base out over there.

The benefits:

-easy location, people could LOCATE where the buses are without having to get lost in the abysses of Chinatown.

-the buses don't have to park off-kerb in the streets

-storefronts do not have to be bus stops, therefore allowing these places to function as barber shops, groceries, restaurants etc...

My intent is to have the first three storeys of this complex be occupied by the bus station. A ramp could be made connecting the second floor with the Williamsburg Bridge. Another ramp would allow buses to travel westbound on Delancey towards the Holland Tunnel. A ramp from Delancey eastbound would allow buses to travel to the bus station. The first floor could be occupied by ticket counters and probably cafes and restaurants. The third floor could be dedicated to a waiting room.

On top of the complex, I intend for a mixed use complex, more geared towards residential. Separate entries for the residential units would be made so that they wont be mistakened for the bus stations.

Of course there will be problems:

-the potentially unsightly ramps

The ramps would be needed so that there won't be any potential traffic problems for both regular traffic and the buses. Also, they will be engineered in a way that won't take up too much space and will maximise the amount of sunlight.

-more traffic on the Williamsburg Bridge and Delancey Street:

Yes there WILL be more traffic on Delancey Street, however guidelines should be given to drivers, giving them a basic alignment in and out of the hub, with a fixed schedule so that the buses won't have to compete with regular traffic. By setting guidelines and rules, drivers won't have to be reckless on the streets.

-people are LIVING above the bus terminal

A soundproof system should be built so that vibrations of the buses below won't affect those living above it. A two storey gap between the bus terminal and the residential units would be needed to minimise the potential vibrations, also, this space could be used for maintenance. Emissions detectors would be placed so that people living above it could be alerted.

-the bus centre is considerably far away from the centre of the Chinese community

This is the biggest issue for the Chinese community, I believe. For many people, the bus industry brings a lot of activity to Chinatown. However, they can always find business along Delancey Street or even inside the bus terminal, as there will be space in the first floor and the third floor for retail space. Most of the shopping arcades in Chinatown are really patchworks of small booths selling goods.

Once the move is done, buses should not be stopping in the Chinatown area. This frees up space for regular vehicular activity. Commuter vans will not be moved to the bus centre though.

How about putting all of them under ONE ROOF?

Of course, the answer is where?

I decided to do this: build a multi-purpose complex on the south side of Delancey from Clinton to Norfolk. Currently they are occupied by vacant/parking lots. My intent is to have all of those buses base out over there.

Hey! That sounds like an excellent plan! I have just one question....

Who is going to pay for it? You?:confused:

Hey! That sounds like an excellent plan! I have just one question....

Who is going to pay for it? You?:confused:

I considered that. Once there is active political support, I'm sure the feds will pay a good chunk. As you know, in Article 1 of the Constitution, the Federal Government is responsible for overseeing interstate commerce. And these buses, since they go out of state, are part of interstate commerce. Active political support may also possibly mean money from the private sector via donations and stuff.

I like the idea. It would be interesting, convenient, and useful. Only issues I see are the residential part (not many people would want to live in such a place) and the fact that Delancey/Essex (F)(M)(J)(Z) is not wheelchair-accessible.

It really depends on the design, rather than the description that would ACTUALLY lure potential homeowners or renters. And I'm pretty sure, once this is OK'd they will call for elevators at said station. Which brings up the point that the proposed bus terminal is very close to the station, so that people from Midtown, and different areas of Brooklyn and Queens could access the station, without having to get to PABT.

I considered that. Once there is active political support, I'm sure the feds will pay a good chunk. As you know, in Article 1 of the Constitution, the Federal Government is responsible for overseeing interstate commerce. And these buses, since they go out of state, are part of interstate commerce. Active political support may also possibly mean money from the private sector via donations and stuff.

Okay. I applaud your imagination, and good intentions, but if you seriously believe that that is going to happen, I am afraid you have a lot to learn about the real world.

Okay. I applaud your imagination, and good intentions, but if you seriously believe that that is going to happen, I am afraid you have a lot to learn about the real world.

Well yes, this is just a plan. But I will talk it out with the Community Board and see what they think. Because something HAS to be done with those buses clogging up the streets. And that number is going to grow. How in God's name are you going to accomodate buses from all over the country? Watch in 2 years, there would be buses all the way to Las Vegas and California and even Canada. I'm pretty sure, there will be a bus line to Houston by the next year. Look, I mean, there is such a growing web. You have to place all of them somewhere so it's easy to find, and won't prove such a burden on city streets.

I will talk to the Community Board, the borough president, the mayor, the senators and the Representatives in Congress.

Well yes, this is just a plan. But I will talk it out with the Community Board and see what they think. Because something HAS to be done with those buses clogging up the streets. And that number is going to grow. How in God's name are you going to accomodate buses from all over the country? Watch in 2 years, there would be buses all the way to Las Vegas and California and even Canada. I'm pretty sure, there will be a bus line to Houston by the next year. Look, I mean, there is such a growing web. You have to place all of them somewhere so it's easy to find, and won't prove such a burden on city streets.

I will talk to the Community Board, the borough president, the mayor, the senators and the Representatives in Congress.

Well that is certainly an ambitious endeavour.

Please be sure to report back to us the results of your quest.

It really depends on the design, rather than the description that would ACTUALLY lure potential homeowners or renters. And I'm pretty sure, once this is OK'd they will call for elevators at said station. Which brings up the point that the proposed bus terminal is very close to the station, so that people from Midtown, and different areas of Brooklyn and Queens could access the station, without having to get to PABT.

NYC should do like Boston did. Every "Line Run" company has to use South Station. MegaBus has to use North Station for a while until S. Station was modified to let the DDs in.

NYC should do the same....everybody into the PABT and if there is no room,you don't get to run scheduled service. There are GLI and PPB drivers stuck on the purgatory of the spareboard making minimum hours because of this scrouge of the roads. It's such an unfair game being played out there,you guys have NO idea!

NYC should do like Boston did. Every "Line Run" company has to use South Station. MegaBus has to use North Station for a while until S. Station was modified to let the DDs in.

NYC should do the same....everybody into the PABT and if there is no room,you don't get to run scheduled service. There are GLI and PPB drivers stuck on the purgatory of the spareboard making minimum hours because of this scrouge of the roads. It's such an unfair game being played out there,you guys have NO idea!

I have to agree with this post, somewhat. While on the one hand, I believe in a free-market system, and open competition; on the other hand, since de-regulation and the abolishment of the ICC, the ensueing cut-throat (sometimes literally) competition, while maybe a boon for bargain seekers, has resulted in a serious decline in the quality of the service provided. The schedules, safety, reliability etc. overall are much lower than the standards during regulation era.

The thing is, PABT is getting packed. So therefore a new terminal ought to be built redistributing the buses and putting some relief. The buses do have a right to run, but then again, they need control.

The buses do have a right to run, but then again, they need control.

I am biasad, but no I don't think they have the "right".

Just on the ADA issue alone. Every new bus that Peter Pan,Greyhound,Bolt,Megabus,TransBride,Martz,Academy and etc. are buying HAVE to be ADA compliant. Hell by law the fleets are suppose to be 100% ADA compliant by 2012. But Fung Wah and Lucky Star don't have one bus in their fleet with a W/C lift.

$1 fares are nice,but when your driver doesn't speak english,riding on questionable equipment,and getting dropped of a some dark street corner,is really worth it?

Archived