Rare 3rd ave el video

Dan05979

Found this gem online, its on the 3rd ave el fom the 50's and for a 50's film the quality is not bad. At the 7:13 mark is pretty interesting, if someone know where that is I'd love to know. Hang with it, the music is pretty annoying but its worth it, you see some old New York in there.

I'll do so to the best of my abilities. The MUDCs seen in the video are actually converted Manhatten Gates cars, which took place in the early 1920s. MUDC stands for Multiple-Unit Door Control. More then 400 of these cars were converted and the remaining Gate cars were retired by 1950. After the Manhatten section of the 3rd Avenue El closed the remaining MUDCs were transferred on to the Bronx section of the El until they were retired by Lo-Vs that were displaced by the then new R17-R22s cars, which were replacing Hi-Vs in the process. None of the MUDCs have been preserved and only 5 Manhatten Gate cars survive today. For more information please see these.

http://nycsubway.org/cars/manhel.html

http://nycsubway.org/articles/theymovedthemillions1.html

Ahh, I didn't know that. Thank you.

So you guys know the bridge mentioned at 7:13 is actually the current Willis avenue bridge. If you look at the bridge on the Bronx side you can see some leftover steelwork from the elevated. Hard to believe but true. I also have that video and everytime I watch i wish I could go back in time and be in old NY....

So you guys know the bridge mentioned at 7:13 is actually the current Willis avenue bridge. If you look at the bridge on the Bronx side you can see some leftover steelwork from the elevated. Hard to believe but true. I also have that video and everytime I watch i wish I could go back in time and be in old NY....

I agree with you 100% about going back in time, its not the willis ave bridge, its the old 3rd ave bridge.

well thats what i meant sorry I drive across that every night and I look at the steel work all the time at the light. Its funny what you can piece together driving a yellow cab.

10-4, The willis ave bridge is going bye bye soon.

Brother I'll believe it when I see it. That construction's been going on for a while now. The new ramps look pretty much done but the span oh that another story. The backups that the bridge gets is so ridiculous even at 3am... Off the FDR Drive. Still cool on a historical point though. Also seeing other points around town which relate to this video are Coenties Slip Curve and Grand @Bowery what a difference... Cool to see others have seen it as well.

Archived