Welcome to Detroit Pt 3

These are photos from other places in Detroit (Ford and GM)

#1 The Bus Rosa Parks was on, which is at the Henry Ford Museum near Ford World Headquarters:

1954 GM Old-Look #2857

#2 The Prototype GMC RTS 04 Artic at the GM World Headquarters. 2 were built for Detroit DOT, but were never put into service. This photo was the actual bus, not an artist impression. The photo however has been touched up for display.

RParksBus7.jpg

RParksBus6.jpg

RParksBus5.jpg

RParksBus.jpg

RParksBus4.jpg

GMRTSArtic.jpg

If those made it into service, I bet NYC would of bought those. They loved those RTS buses. It would be nice if MCI made the Classic Artic again. It would still be riveted together (like the 40ft classics), which made those bad boys last so long, but come with a Cummins engine (identical to the Bee-Line 600-700series engines), 3 doors, and run in NYC. Heck if they wanted to make it a low floor, long as it is still riveted, it would last. That is whey MCI 9s, 10s, and classics bodies last so long. Nothing holds metal together better than rivets.

That last pic of the arctic RTS is kinda weird i dont know why......

I agree. Saw pics of it on other sites, and it just looks wrong. Just looks wrong.......

It does look wierd, but I think it's because its a whole 40 ft RTS with the last 5 feet being the articulated part, (10 ft total) then the last 15 feet of an RTS added. Unlike the D60HF which is a 35 ft bus in the front.

It does look wierd, but I think it's because its a whole 40 ft RTS with the last 5 feet being the articulated part, (10 ft total) then the last 15 feet of an RTS added. Unlike the D60HF which is a 35 ft bus in the front.

Kind of like the HF NABI. 40/20.

Archived