The Truth about working for the DSNY

Andrew

Even if they are up to 642, that is still not a lot. I doubt they will hire as many people as in previous exams since they switched to 2 man trucks several years ago.

And besides, I could not care if I don't get hired by DSNY. I have a horrible list # and I would rather be a T/O any day of the week than a sanitation worker. If anyone here took the DSNY and MTA exams, take MTA. You will work a lot less and you have better promotion potential. Currently, DSNY offers no promotion potential since they just demoted 100 supervisors.

Even if they are up to 642, that is still not a lot. I doubt they will hire as many people as in previous exams since they switched to 2 man trucks several years ago.

And besides, I could not care if I don't get hired by DSNY. I have a horrible list # and I would rather be a T/O any day of the week than a sanitation worker. If anyone here took the DSNY and MTA exams, take MTA. You will work a lot less and you have better promotion potential. Currently, DSNY offers no promotion potential since they just demoted 100 supervisors.

T/O is a long wait, you have to get around a 97 or higher.

Better off getting on with the MTA in another title and then taking the T/O promo exam which will have a shorter list and gets called first before the O/C exam.

They are going to fight it out in court next month, but that is terrible what the city is trying to do to the sansupervisors.

It is illegal! What about the 6063 list? I am sick and tired of hearing "do more with less." They(city)want the sansupers to drive the snowplows. Contract expires next Sept, the city wants Tier 5 for the pension(25/55). Union president Nespoli is dead set against it.

NYCTA contract expires on Jan/2012, negotiations are going to start this summer. It's 25/55 now but the state wants it at 30/62....who knows what will happen. But all of this pension talk is long term savings for the city. TWU is a big strong union though.

"T/O is a long wait, you have to get around a 97 or higher.

Better off getting on with the MTA in another title and then taking the T/O promo exam which will have a shorter list and gets called first before the O/C exam."

That's actually my plan. I did not take the last T/O test since I did not have the required work experience. But I took the conductor exam and have a list # in the low 400s. Once they finish the promotional list, I should hopefully be one of the first to be called.

• 4 years later...

I know this is old BUT.... how does one obtain residency credit and this legacy credit?

They removed the link to the 6063 list. There is a class going on right now, and they are at #642. They extended the list for 2 more years but that just makes it a longer wait to take the next DSNY exam.

I am out of it also(97.5 with residency credit)
(mid #5,000's).
Most of the ones called already have vet/disability/legacy credits added on to their scores. That makes a world of a difference.

They reached up to #8259 from the 2003 exam. I regret
not taking that one or the one on 1999. They hired 1,947
from that list. I know I can do better next time around but
those days of mass hiring are over.

Yes, the job does take a toll on your body, yet I hear most don't do 20 and out like with NYPD.

Archived