The Truth about working for the DSNY

Andrew

Yes, the real people know better ... unfortunately elsewhere there are employees who respect and sympathize with the chairman even as pink slips are handed out around them. Really unbelievable.

Of course. Lesser suits are still suits.

Amazing because there would be more lesser suits, but a lot of them were laid off. The ones that remain are too blind or naive to understand that they could be next, and that the suits at the top don't care about them one bit to stop that from happening. They gotta make their Infiniti payments.

You guys are saying that because he is your "boss", why don't the both of you really tell us how you both feel about him being reappointed.

They're saying that because they know how politics work.

They're saying that because it's extremely unlikely Walder gets dismissed since WE THE TAXPAYERS would have to pay that jackass his golden parachute of a half a million dollars, and no politician wants that on his record.

Also he's a convenient scapegoat in the event of service cuts or fare hikes so that the politicians don't have to accept responsibility for the continuation of underfunding of mass transit by the state and city. The MTA has always been a political football, and 2011 will be no different.

The reality is I feel comfortable saying that no one who works for transit (at least in operating departments) likes him nor wants him to stay. Between friends and other employees I know, literally every one does not like him. So I am comfortable painting everyone with the broad brush in saying that I don't think anyone still wants him here.

But odds are that's right where he will be...

The risk of a tax-payer golden parachute has not stopped politicians from getting new people before. If Walder is to go (which I've seen no indications of as of now from Cuomo), chances are it'll be a big issue on this amongst the transit community only.

The risk of a tax-payer golden parachute has not stopped politicians from getting new people before. If Walder is to go (which I've seen no indications of as of now from Cuomo), chances are it'll be a big issue on this amongst the transit community only.

Not true at all. Everything Walder has done has been placed under a microscope. If the new governor removes him, it will be all over the place of what a waste of taxpayer money this is, and the fact Walder laid off a bunch of "greedy" "rude" (note the quotes) TA employees will be seized upon by all of the major papers who will question the move and criticize the new governor's administration for wasting taxpayer money by firing a "tough leader" (again note quotes) who was "willing to make the tough decisions to keep the MTA solvent"

No governor wants that on their record. So Walder probably is not going anywhere.

Not true at all. Everything Walder has done has been placed under a microscope. If the new governor removes him, it will be all over the place of what a waste of taxpayer money this is, and the fact Walder laid off a bunch of "greedy" "rude" (note the quotes) TA employees will be seized upon by all of the major papers who will question the move and criticize the new governor's administration for wasting taxpayer money by firing a "tough leader" (again note quotes) who was "willing to make the tough decisions to keep the MTA solvent"

No governor wants that on their record. So Walder probably is not going anywhere.

Lol at the items in quotes. I wonder how they'd react when they hear that his housing allowance is more than the yearly salary of some of his employees. On top of his six figure salary (which to my knowledge is more than his parachute). That sounds like an even bigger waste of tax-payer dollars.

When put like that, you do make a great point; given the anti-tax political/news climate we're in.

Lol at the items in quotes. I wonder how they'd react when they hear that his housing allowance is more than the yearly salary of some of his employees. On top of his six figure salary (which to my knowledge is more than his parachute). That sounds like an even bigger waste of tax-payer dollars.

You are 100% correct about that, but the sheeple will react the way they always do. By bleating about how because he is an executive suit, that he "deserves" that as just compensation for what he's done.

Of course, none of the lemming idiots repeating that lie make anywhere near what Walder and his ilk do. They just like to think they might someday, and they want to make sure the loft at the top is good and soft and padded for when they get there. Of course, that's the great lie in this country. None of them ever will get there. But they'll still spew pro-executive tripe bullshit that aids their captors in their quest for financial domination over the rest of us.

True of all business, all executives, and the American people, not just MTA. What do you think is more important to know how to run the MTA? An understanding of how to move New York City gained from firsthand experience, good people skills, and a cursory understanding of business enough to know that debt and high wages for useless or redundant personnel (I'm talking about in the offices) is bad? Or someone with no or little transportation experience, no firsthand knowledge, poor people skills, but a masters degree in business, experience in banking?

I'll take the guy who understands transit every time. Walder isn't that guy.

You are 100% correct about that, but the sheeple will react the way they always do. By bleating about how because he is an executive suit, that he "deserves" that as just compensation for what he's done.

Of course, none of the lemming idiots repeating that lie make anywhere near what Walder and his ilk do. They just like to think they might someday, and they want to make sure the loft at the top is good and soft and padded for when they get there. Of course, that's the great lie in this country. None of them ever will get there. But they'll still spew pro-executive tripe bullshit that aids their captors in their quest for financial domination over the rest of us.

True of all business, all executives, and the American people, not just MTA. What do you think is more important to know how to run the MTA? An understanding of how to move New York City gained from firsthand experience, good people skills, and a cursory understanding of business enough to know that debt and high wages for useless or redundant personnel (I'm talking about in the offices) is bad? Or someone with no or little transportation experience, no firsthand knowledge, poor people skills, but a masters degree in business, experience in banking?

I'll take the guy who understands transit every time. Walder isn't that guy.

Thats the most true commentary about how this country thinks. It's why you can get people to vote against their economic interest, and how one can ruin a country in only 8 years (President 43). Everyone wants to follow 50 cents motto; Get rich or die trying. You'll most likely die before you hit that 250k tax bracket.

And one can have as much fiscal and banking skills as one possibly can, doesn't mean jack-s without a intrinsic knowledge of the organization you're running. And all of the blaming the TWU will seriously hurt Walder down the line.

• 5 weeks later...
Just to give a heads up, I received pre-employment paper work today for DSNY so they are calling people.my list number is 6X think im going to pass have 2.5 years with the MTA

I think you made the right call, not only in terms of taking a huge pay cut but they are reducing the DSNY workforce. Some people think the departments days are numbered. I know the future of the MTA doesn't look bright either but it has a much higher workforce then DSNY. You will always have a need for Bus Operators no matter what.

To be exact it is 66.5 my score is adjusted due to the fact i had served in the armed forces but was never given credit

Papa, what are you talking about? Is your list # in the 6 hundreds or 6 thousands? I'm on the same list and awaiting a letter, I'm in the 4900 area. I forget the exact number. My score was 95 or so.

Papa, what are you talking about? Is your list # in the 6 hundreds or 6 thousands? I'm on the same list and awaiting a letter, I'm in the 4900 area. I forget the exact number. My score was 95 or so.

His list number is in the 60's(sixties). If you are in the 4,900 area then your

score should be 98.75, with a score of 95 the list numbers are in the 8,000+ range.

Actually they have called up to #484 which is still a very depressing number.

The thing is who knows how many people with list numbers below that weren't ready for whatever reason(under 21, no CDL permit, etc) when they had the only 2 classes from the list. I believe it's like the MTA, you get 3 chances to pass it up.

Just a heads up guys, I just called the HR Dept for DSNY this afternoon, and they told me that the next exam for DSNY will be 2014 due to the fact that there still hiring from the list for those who took the exam in 2007, and it has been extended.

Sighs....the 6063 list expires on Feb/2014, did they tell you what month the exam will be given? It was in June the last time around. They usually have the exam BEFORE the previous list expires. Example: 6063 exam was given on June/07, but the previous list expired on Feb/08.

It takes a few months to establish the list. All the list extension does is prolong the time before the next exam. It's not going to help me at all with a list number in the 5,000's.

Bleeping Bloomberg has the nerve to demote 100 Supervisors back to sanitation workers instead of hiring a new class of 100. All they have planned for is 100 new sanitation workers, one class of 60 and another of 40. I hope we get a record amount of snow this winter. I want to see the bleeping DSNY Commissioner John "the drunk" Doherty drive a snow plow instead of riding around with a chauffeur in a SUV giving orders.:mad:

Sighs....the 6063 list expires on Feb/2014, did they tell you what month the exam will be given? It was in June the last time around. They usually have the exam BEFORE the previous list expires. Example: 6063 exam was given on June/07, but the previous list expired on Feb/08.

It takes a few months to establish the list. All the list extension does is prolong the time before the next exam. It's not going to help me at all with a list number in the 5,000's.

Bleeping Bloomberg has the nerve to demote 100 Supervisors back to sanitation workers instead of hiring a new class of 100. All they have planned for is 100 new sanitation workers, one class of 60 and another of 40. I hope we get a record amount of snow this winter. I want to see the bleeping DSNY Commissioner John "the drunk" Doherty drive a snow plow instead of riding around with a chauffeur in a SUV giving orders.:mad:

No month...just the year...it sucks...

• 1 month later...

I also took the last sanitation exam. I scored a 95 and my list number is in the 9,000s. So I have zero chance of gettig hired. Maybe the next time they give the exam I will set up "residence" in one of my relative's house in Queens so that I can get the 5 points credit for living in NYC. I could have done that the last time, but it would have bene no use since I still would not have been called. They still have not called anyone beyond #484. (Imagine the agony the guy with list #485 is going through...). So with my poor list number, I'm not even going to waste time getting a CDL.

In fact, I doubt I coudl handle the physical stress of being at DSNY. I wonder how long I would last on the job. If a T/O and sanitation worker make the same salary, stay at MTA. The extra work is not worth the 20 year pension. If the 20 year pension is so important, then go to NYPD.

Does anyone have a link to the list of eligibles for the exam? The Chief had it, but the link no longer works. I want to see the scores fo the peopel who have been called to date. I bet most of them scored over 100 with vet prefence.

I also took the last sanitation exam. I scored a 95 and my list number is in the 9,000s. So I have zero chance of gettig hired. Maybe the next time they give the exam I will set up "residence" in one of my relative's house in Queens so that I can get the 5 points credit for living in NYC. I could have done that the last time, but it would have bene no use since I still would not have been called. They still have not called anyone beyond #484. (Imagine the agony the guy with list #485 is going through...). So with my poor list number, I'm not even going to waste time getting a CDL.

In fact, I doubt I coudl handle the physical stress of being at DSNY. I wonder how long I would last on the job. If a T/O and sanitation worker make the same salary, stay at MTA. The extra work is not worth the 20 year pension. If the 20 year pension is so important, then go to NYPD.

Does anyone have a link to the list of eligibles for the exam? The Chief had it, but the link no longer works. I want to see the scores fo the peopel who have been called to date. I bet most of them scored over 100 with vet prefence.

They removed the link to the 6063 list. There is a class going on right now, and they are at #642. They extended the list for 2 more years but that just makes it a longer wait to take the next DSNY exam.

I am out of it also(97.5 with residency credit)

(mid #5,000's).

Most of the ones called already have vet/disability/legacy credits added on to their scores. That makes a world of a difference.

They reached up to #8259 from the 2003 exam. I regret

not taking that one or the one on 1999. They hired 1,947

from that list. I know I can do better next time around but

those days of mass hiring are over.

Yes, the job does take a toll on your body, yet I hear most don't do 20 and out like with NYPD.

They removed the link to the 6063 list. There is a class going on right now, and they are at #642. They extended the list for 2 more years but that just makes it a longer wait to take the next DSNY exam.

I am out of it also(97.5 with residency credit)

(mid #5,000's).

Most of the ones called already have vet/disability/legacy credits added on to their scores. That makes a world of a difference.

They reached up to #8259 from the 2003 exam. I regret

not taking that one or the one on 1999. They hired 1,947

from that list. I know I can do better next time around but

those days of mass hiring are over.

Yes, the job does take a toll on your body, yet I hear most don't do 20 and out like with NYPD

Archived