NEW Eurostar

Citaro

19626335-thumb-jpg_520268.jpg The design, source: Wiwo

The new SIEMENS e320 trains are part of a £700m investment in the Eurostar Fleet. Revealed on 7th October 2010 they are to be built by Siemens. 10 trainsets have been ordered, consisting of 16 cars and 400m long. They have a top speed of 320 km/h and are 'interoperable' allowing them to access the European HSR network providing an increased number of destinations. They have 900 seats (a 20% increase over the current fleet) and will include wi-fi and on-demand entertainment.

Stunning.

The one huge problem with the acela, is that it needs to be more than just 5 cars & a cafe car, it needs to be 9-10 cars and a cafe car. Would buy time till ARC is complete as well....

- A

well lets see...iirc, most of the major stations have platforms that would support a 400 meter, 16 car EMU train yes?

I believe the FRA limitation for regular passenger trains is 16 cars. I'm not sure if this includes locomotive or not. Acela trainsets have 2 power cars, they don't have distributed motor trucks. With the 2 power cars you'd have a 14 passenger car train.

I think it should look like this:

Power car

First class quiet car

First class

First class

Diner/plated cooked meals

Lounge

Observation (seats face out)

Lavitory/baby change car

Cafe/snack

Business class

Business class

Business class

Business class

business class quiet car

Baggage/crew car

Power car

You could have some trainsets that only have the cafe car and none of the "extra" cars. Baggage car could help acela compete directly with airlines.

I also think the acela needs to be allowed to run to harrisburg at least 2 round trips a day, as well as increased service at trenton, after all they are both state capitols.

- A

All we have is Acela and R160s!!!

And Europe has the Eurostar, TGV, ICE, AGV, AVE, Pendolino, X2, Sapsan, Fyra, Thalys, railjet, Javelin, etc :(

Japan has the Shinkansen, China has the CRH3, a Maglev train, South Korea the KTX, Taiwan the THSR

But hey the US is more advanced than Canada and Australia.:P

Archived