Some more political reading: What happens when income tax rates are raised on the rich?

SubwayGuy

Read UP: http://www.workingfamiliesparty.org/wordpress/uploads/2008/11/fact-check-what-happens-when-income-taxes-are-raised.pdf

Trickle down "Reagonomics" don't work. Hands off "laissez faire" doesn't work either, but neither does overregulation. There's a happy middle in there somewhere. This proves using actual studies that taxing the wealthy to reduce a deficit and maintain vital services to the working and middle class does not have the adverse effects the wealthy claim such as the "they'll all move somewhere else" BS argument.

Just because election day is over does not mean the battle is done. Write your newly elected leaders and encourage them to enact these sorts of measures. It's time to end the kowtowing to the rich. And that applies at the city, state, and federal level.

And that applies whether your elected officials are Democrats, Republicans, Third Party, or Independent.

Taxes should be based on total income and net worth.

Yes.

Tax breaks should be based on doing things for the greater good.

- A

No.

Tax breaks should be based on protecting American interests and contributing to productive economic efforts here in the US. Donations should be allowed for charity, but they should be capped as they are today. Tax breaks (such as lower rates) should also be allowed for individuals who invest in American companies ONLY.

Tax breaks should be based on protecting American interests and contributing to productive economic efforts here in the US. Donations should be allowed for charity, but they should be capped as they are today. Tax breaks (such as lower rates) should also be allowed for individuals who invest in American companies ONLY.

A staunch patriot, aren't you?

A staunch patriot, aren't you?

As the saying goes, I love this country but I hate what it's become. American history is something every American should be (mostly) proud of (with a few notable exceptions like slavery, lack of civil rights, and excesses we are seeing repeated which allowed the Gilded Age). However the last 30 years have been backwards and have taken away from what was once the greatest quality of life in the world. And none of our leaders - in either party - seem willing or able to do anything about it.

A lot of correcting America's problems starts with focusing on what's best for America, not for other countries. Few politicians are willing to address that issue, choosing instead to put the interests of other countries ahead of the American people's so that we can retain title as a "world power" something that America never even cared about until post WWI when talk of a "League of Nations" began which turned into the watered down waste of money that we know today as the UN.

There's a difference between being a patriot and being blindly loyal to the powers that be. I try to stick to the first. That's why I can take pride in America without defending every single aspect of it because there are a lot of things in this country that benefit the rich at the expense of everyone else, and that's a very un-American trait.

Not really. The decline of America will mirror the decline of the Roman Empire- long, slow, and painful.

That means that the state USA will be destroyed in the end, but i think it will just lose its world power position like the British Empire.

Archived