SEPTA Push-Pull Question

N-Trizzy2609

I have a few questions around the rather uniqueness of SEPTA's push-pull fleet.

1. Does any push-pulls run down to Wilmington? I've yet to see a picture and R2 is a rather light line compared to the R7.

2. Why does SEPTA run AEM-7/ALP-44s with the pantograph closes to the front of train? NJT, and MARC always use the one closer to the cars when leading and the one closer to end on the way back. SEPTA seems to do the opposite.

3. More of a NJ Transit question but why when the Comet Is were running up here they never had a electric leading while SEPTA uses them alot with there own ALP-44? I never seen ANY Comet I on any electric train in NJ. Not even on Morris and Essex.

4. Lastly, Anything new in the future of SEPTA's push-pulls? I know for years, SEPTA wanted to replace some of cab cars since they have a door in the engineers compartment and the FRA said that's a no-no. Hence why all comet/shoreliner orders after 1996 got rid of the engineer door for a LIRR M1-style window.

1. the push pull sets are only used on the busiest lines, but i'm sure it happened at some point.

2. They have no official policy on pantograph orientation. (NJT) tries to run them in the back, due to the age and lower tension of much of the (NJT) system's wires. Amtrak had a test where they left the panto up unless its carbon strip was getting thin, they determined that it doesnt matter, but most of the engineers still swap them anyways to even the wear. Also :septa: only has 4 electric locos, aside from those, there is never even an option to switch ends.

3. The trains (:septa: & (NJT)) run in pretty much a saw type motion, with one end facing east, other facing west moved between terminals, so you'd see about half of trains being cab car, other half loco, and then there's the thing where there really are not that many in :septa: land to begin with, and the rest were arrows or silverliners depending on the system in question.

4. They will most likely go after the comet 3's if (NJT) starts shedding those, and retire the comet 1's or leave the c1's in reserve as populations go up in its served area & beyond. There's a chance they could also get some stuff from canada, but nothing factory new as of yet seems to be on the table.

- A

Archived