Cuomo's Transit Issues

East New York

By ANDREW GROSSMAN for The Wall Street Journal

The big transportation problems confronting Gov.-elect Andrew Cuomo are laid out in stark terms in a report set to be released on Thursday by the current lieutenant governor, Richard Ravitch, a former Metropolitan Transportation Authority chairman.

Mr. Ravitch writes that time is running out for New York state to figure out a way to cut costs and raise revenue without jeopardizing crucial projects.

Failing to come up with a long-term plan to fund transportation infrastructure "means surrendering any plausible chance for a prosperous future for New York," Mr. Ravitch writes.

The MTA says it will run out of money to pay for big capital projects at the end of next year. While its budget is balanced this year, it faces big future deficits. The agency's response so far—a 7.5% fare increase that goes into effect at the end of this year and deep cuts to service and overhead—has given it only a little breathing room.

Read the complete story here.

Not surprised at all that Cuomo hasn't spoken yet with Walder, he will bring in his own guy once he gets sworn in as governor in January. You can bet the house on it!

Legally, I don't think he can. IIRC, Walder's contract doesn't expire till 2015. Besides, replacing Walder right now would be a huge mistake. I think Walder should ride it out. If you review everything he has done, the good outweighs the bad by a ton!

What makes him so special? Plenty of more qualified people out there just waiting to take his place. When a new governor takes office he brings in his own people, start off with a clean slate. Walder does have a buyout clause, so if he gets fired he gets paid(golden parachute).

"If you review everything he has done, the good outweighs the bad by a ton!. "

Yeah ask those who were and still are laid off from this past summer.:tdown:

Legally, I don't think he can. IIRC, Walder's contract doesn't expire till 2015. Besides, replacing Walder right now would be a huge mistake. I think Walder should ride it out. If you review everything he has done, the good outweighs the bad by a ton!

Usually new Governors put their own team in place. Coumo wont pressure Walder to step down(as Patterson did to Sander)because he's doing the dirty work(layoffs, fare increases, cuts in service etc...)and because he negotiated a huge golden parachute. Unfortunately, I think Waldo is here to stay.

What makes him so special? Plenty of more qualified people out there just waiting to take his place. When a new governor takes office he brings in his own people, start off with a clean slate. Walder does have a buyout clause, so if he gets fired he gets paid(golden parachute).

"If you review everything he has done, the good outweighs the bad by a ton!. "

Yeah ask those who were and still are laid off from this past summer.:tdown:

Part of the reason all these people were laid off is because things had been so mismanaged. Nassau County has been sucking the life out of the MTA for years. True, more cuts should have been made from the top, but the TA was in a very bad position. From the untrained eye, it appears that all Walder did was cut, cut, cut. But if you knew what I know, you would know that he is actually one of the best CEO's the TA has had. It may not seen like it, but the black and white tells a different story. Many of you may not agree, but the facts in this matter speak for themselves. When he assumed the position of CEO, he was faced with tough decisions. I felt the same way as many of you all Di, until I was given an inside look into what was, and is really going on. Most people are on the outside looking in. I however have had the privilege of seeing things from the inside. He is in the process of a major overhaul that will benefit many employees, and customers in the future. If I were running things, I would do a few things different. But it is what it is, and he's actually a decent job. Thing could have been much much worse! True me on that one!

Part of the reason all these people were laid off is because things had been so mismanaged. Nassau County has been sucking the life out of the MTA for years. True, more cuts should have been made from the top, but the TA was in a very bad position. From the untrained eye, it appears that all Walder did was cut, cut, cut. But if you knew what I know, you would know that he is actually one of the best CEO's the TA has had. It may not seen like it, but the black and white tells a different story. Many of you may not agree, but the facts in this matter speak for themselves. When he assumed the position of CEO, he was faced with tough decisions. I felt the same way as many of you all Di, until I was given an inside look into what was, and is really going on. Most people are on the outside looking in. I however have had the privilege of seeing things from the inside. He is in the process of a major overhaul that will benefit many employees, and customers in the future. If I were running things, I would do a few things different. But it is what it is, and he's actually a decent job. Thing could have been much much worse! True me on that one!

Well, we're not all priveleged and lucky as you are to be able to "see things from the inside." Some of us were hit hard by the cuts and the biggest one yet is apparently set, and I'm one of the ones that will feel it. Also, I love how you were told that Walder and Mangano wanted to do keep doing business... well, they didn't. Thanks a lot.

Archived