Motorman vs. Train Operator

mediccjh

I'm not exactly sure when the change came in, but Motorman became train operator within NYC Transit because female operators was becoming common around the 70s within the NYCTA system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorman

Train operator or motorman is sometimes used also on the railroads as well, tho its unofficial with certain RR companies since the person operating a train is a Railroad Engineer. (For the n0obz)

Another change done purely to satisfy the PC crowd that is afraid of anything containing the word "MAN" or "MEN". Too many people out there have a sensitivity problem; I know a carman who happens to be a woman and she will proudly call herself a carman because that's what the title is.

It goes along with the whole "sex and gender are two different constructs" bullshit.

And don't forget engineers. Some peopel refer to T/Os as engineers, even though it is 100% incorrect. An engineer is someone who has a degree in engineering and designs stuff, NOT someone who drives a train.
Correct, it's not someone who drives a train, considering you don't DRIVE a train, you OPERATE it but the term is Locomotive Engineer.

In addition to the above, what I've been told:

When something goes wrong on a train...

-A motorman reaches for his toolbag

-A train operator reaches for the radio

Of course in today's day and age with the suits that run the MTA I can certainly sympathize with any train operator who would want to be more "motorman-like" but does not do so out of fear for his/her own job, especially with those NTT's and all the electronics. Who was it around here that said NYCTA stood for "No You Can't Touch Anything" on those trains???

And don't forget engineers. Some peopel refer to T/Os as engineers, even though it is 100% incorrect. An engineer is someone who has a degree in engineering and designs stuff, NOT someone who drives a train.

Traditionally, an engineer was someone who operated a steam locomotive or a diesel locomotive. I've heard from some that on the LIRR, those who ran electrics were called motormen (as an electric locomotive has motors, not engines). Now, we just generally stick to "engineers on the railroad, motormen and T/Os in the subway".

As for motormen vs. T/Os: motormen move trains, T/Os move handles.

Archived