Getting Hired By Metro North

Donald

Has anyone here ever successfully been hired by MNR? I heard from multiple sources that you have to "know" someone to get hired. About 4 or 5 years ago I took and passed the exam for 3rd railman and was contacted a year later and informed that I would be the next person to be called. That was the last time I ever heard from MNR. Anyone have similar experiences?

Well, true, I do have nothing to lose by calling. I never got another phone call or envelope in the mail. When your hired by a govt. agency, they are supposed to send you a giant envelope in the mail with 10,000 questons about your background that your supposed to fill out and give to the investigator. But I never got one.

Yes, in fact, after re-thinking the timeline of events following the exam, I was called in 2006 asking if I was still interested in the job. Then around 2007, I was called AGAIN telling me that I was the next person to be called for the 3rd railman. That was the last call. No interview, no background investigation, no medical, no drug test, etc. Nothing. I think I was skipped over because I don't know anyone. In fact, when I took the exam, except for me and 1 other person, EVERYONE in the exam room already worked for MNR. (So I am sure they got hired a long time ago).

Well, I called. The HR lady said that test results are only good for 2 years. And it was almost exactly 2 years when I got my last call from MNR. So I left a message with a supervisor trying to get the ultimate status of my application. I know I was rejected because I don't have any connections and I want to confirm my suspcions. It seems like MNR deliberately ran out the clock so that I would no longer be eligible for the position.

Thank goodness you don't have to know someone to get hired by NYCTA. Otherwise I would have no job prospects.

In fact, when I took the exam, except for me and 1 other person, EVERYONE in the exam room already worked for MNR. (So I am sure they got hired a long time ago).

Placing someone for a position that is already an employee is different than someone that doesn't know anyone. I know for a fact MNR will hire someone (off the street) that doesn't know anyone.

As far as a current employee applying for a position in another craft (as in your experience) is a completely different ball game. Any employee can apply for a position to be in another craft as long as they have a year in the present craft. In order for them to be invited to take the exam after qualifications are met, their time with the company is gone over with a fine tooth comb. Attendance records, safety records and discipline are weighed heavily. I can't speak for those in human resources but I know if I owned a company and there were positions available I would consider someone currently employed that I know is low maintenance before someone off the street that you don't know at all.

As far as getting hired long time ago? I doubt it, again, you have to have a year in a craft to apply for transfer (two years in the company for locomotive engineer). Many will get hired at any position knowing they can transfer later. It's not beneficial to wait too long to transfer because once you do you start on the bottom of a different craft and union (seniority roster). You'll still have your company time which dictates how much vacation time you get but you'll be at the bottom as far as when you'll be allowed to take it. Seniority also comes into play as far as job picks. When one does transfer it's wiser to do it earlier then to do it once you have five or ten years.

Archived