IRT car length question

Bus Guy

Heh, well this is probably the one few things I'll foam about. I still think the Flushing line would be better off being part of B division and keep the A divsion with just the current 6 lines.

While your at it extend the extension and merge it with the (L) lol

Yeah i was thinking of a 60ft-9ft car when making this since doing all that platform work would be a little much for a longer train.

As a daily (7) rider, I would happily welcome 60 ft by 9 ft cars on my line. A 10-car train of them would handle the crowds much better than an 11-car train of the current rolling stock, especially on the <7>.

While your at it extend the extension and merge it with the (L) lol

Only if they build a new river tunnel to replace the Steinway tubes and allow B division cars to run on the combined line. Probably would be a good reason to run 10-car trains for the combined line. If not for Eastern div's limitations, they could have 10-car trains for the entire B-div system.

Why are we talking about the Secaucus extension anyway, and again the (L) won't work. New Jersey riders want direct access to Midtown, and the East Side. That is why the ARC tunnel was planned to go on to Grand Central Terminal. The only other train that goes by Grand Central that I would even consider extending is the (6) from it's current terminal. The (6), and the (7) are almost the same. They both run by Grand Central which New Jersey riders want, and they both run by the East Side. The (L) doesn't go anywhere near them. The (L) would better being sent up Tenth Avenue to 59th Street-Columbus Circle to better serve the unserved sections of the West Side which isn't served by the Eighth Avenue Line.

• 10 years later...

Certain lines presently used by the IRT were originally built to BMT clearances when it was thought that the then BRT might operate them.

This was part of the Triborough System,  Proposed and built were the Centre St. Subway, which was part of a proposed loop system to connect all three East River bridges, but the loop itself was never completed; and the Fourth Ave. Subway in Brooklyn, which included a branch to Coney Island via today's West End Line.  A branch along Lafayette Ave. in Brooklyn was proposed as a Crosstown Line which was however not built.

The lines that ultimately became part of the IRT though built to BMT clearances were the upper portion of the Lexington Ave. Line, including the Pelham Line.  Under the Dual Contracts which apportioned lines out to the operating companies, this latter became part of the IRT.  To accomodate the narrower IRT cars, metal flanges were added on the platform edges to fill the gap between the platforms and the narrower IRT cars, and this provision can still be seen today.

BRT operation would have extended from their Broadway Subway along lower Broadway to 10th St., thence via private right of way, emerging at 14th St. and continuing via Irving Pl. and Lexington Ave., connecting with the existing line north of 42nd St.

A portion of the line under Lexington Ave. was actually built between 26th and 40th Sts., as a double deck structure, as with the existing portion further north.  After it was determined that the IRT would operate the line from 42nd St. north, construction on this portion was abandoned and the work was filled in and sealed as no longer needed.