IRT car length question

Bus Guy

10x60=600ft of 10 60ft cars

10x51=510ft of 51ft cars

11x51=561ft of 51ft cars

Now the reason the (7) can run 11 cars is because it was built to bmt specs, so 10 60ft cars could run there, but the platform would be shaved off due to the width of 60ft cars.

The (7) line is the only IRT Line to be on a B Div radio channel.

Technically, any IRT tunnel built under the Dual Contracts (anything built before that, I'm not so sure) can run a 60' car but the only drawback is that the platforms will have to be shaved back about a foot, and various rooms, signals, and other things will have to be moved.

The IRT Main can NOT handle a 60 foot car anywhere underground. The (4)(1)(7) and (5) Dyer Avenue can theoretically operate a 60 foot car outside. Platforms shaved back of coruse.

Shit....The Dyer Avenue Line can handle Shoreliner cars and Genesis's if properly converted.

God I wish you would've not said that, I know a certain individual that is going to foam because of that statement.

I heard before that a R160 could run on the express track to a certain station after Queensboro Plaza, without any radical modifications.

Junius St station on the (3), is already tight for 10 51ft cars. It may need some extention, but some of the others are quite long. It would be nice to have 60ft cars. I see you did ask about 60 cars, but you did not mention if you meant, 60ft cars that are 10ft wide, or 60ft cars that can be 9ft wide, for IRT width. With them updating the platform edges now, they should have updated it to be able to handle 10ft wide cars, for the future. Then add on an 6 inch extention, for the current IRT cars.......

Junius St station on the (3), is already tight for 10 51ft cars. It may need some extention, but some of the others are quite long. It would be nice to have 60ft cars. I see you did ask about 60 cars, but you did not mention if you meant, 60ft cars that are 10ft wide, or 60ft cars that can be 9ft wide, for IRT width. With them updating the platform edges now, they should have updated it to be able to handle 10ft wide cars, for the future. Then add on an 6 inch extention, for the current IRT cars.......

Yeah i was thinking of a 60ft-9ft car when making this since doing all that platform work would be a little much for a longer train.

10x60=600ft of 10 60ft cars

10x51=510ft of 51ft cars

11x51=561ft of 51ft cars

Now the reason the (7) can run 11 cars is because it was built to bmt specs, so 10 60ft cars could run there, but the platform would be shaved off due to the width of 60ft cars.

The (7) line is the only IRT Line to be on a B Div radio channel.

Thanks for confirming this. I've been speculating about this for some time now.

I always thought that if they added another diamond crossover for the LL QBP station, the Flushing line could run via Broadway BMT. Of course it would overload the Broadway and there would be a need for 'shuttle service' from TS to QBP. But I still hold on to this one fantasy about the (7) east of QBP using B div cars.

As for around the system for 60' long 9' wide 'IRT' cars, some problems I would see are the CH and SF loops, the S-curve south of 180th St on the (2)/(5) and pretty much parts of the original IRT from CH to 96th-Broadway.

Thanks for confirming this. I've been speculating about this for some time now.

I always thought that if they added another diamond crossover for the LL QBP station, the Flushing line could run via Broadway BMT. Of course it would overload the Broadway and there would be a need for 'shuttle service' from TS to QBP. But I still hold on to this one fantasy about the (7) east of QBP using B div cars.

As for around the system for 60' long 9' wide 'IRT' cars, some problems I would see are the CH and SF loops, the S-curve south of 180th St on the (2)/(5) and pretty much parts of the original IRT from CH to 96th-Broadway.

Not be a nitpick but even if a crossover is put there, (7) trains can't run on the Bway line since the stop arm is on the opposite side of the truck, a recipe for disaster.

Also, the originan part of the subway (Lower Lex, Upper 7 Av/Bway) can't handle them since the turns would be too sharp. The 42 St (S), maybe cuz that part is straight for the most part, except the TS end

Guest lance25
The 7th Ave line would be substantially harder to convert for B division trains than the Lexington Ave Line would be.

Now when you say Seventh Avenue, do you mean south of 42nd Street or north (or both)?

Not be a nitpick but even if a crossover is put there, (7) trains can't run on the Bway line since the stop arm is on the opposite side of the truck, a recipe for disaster.

Also, the originan part of the subway (Lower Lex, Upper 7 Av/Bway) can't handle them since the turns would be too sharp. The 42 St (S), maybe cuz that part is straight for the most part, except the TS end

True, but then again if B-div trains were to run regularly on the Flushing line, then they'd have to align the trippers on the opposite side.

Of course, I said that in general - the original IRT. but thanks for the details.

True, but then again if B-div trains were to run regularly on the Flushing line, then they'd have to align the trippers on the opposite side.

Of course, I said that in general - the original IRT. but thanks for the details.

Now if by some divine, impossible (foamer-ish) miracle if they convert the whole Flushing line into B division, then I see no problem with the switch there. But since that's not happening (ever), the only use of that switch would be for work trains and sending cars to CI or 207

The difference has to do with width of cars, not length.

I know...

Hence why i made the comment about them not fitting even though they are the same length as IRT rolling stock. In fact, they had to be tested on the now defunct elevated lines due to their width before the first tunnel was complete. As i recall the elevated lines were originally steam hauled 2-4 cars, since they didnt make a steam loco narrow enough for a typical trolly line they came up with a compromise loading gauge.

At least that's what i can make out from the stuff i've seen/read.

Perhaps take a look at some of my other posts before assuming i'm stating something thinking one thing & the topic being another. I've been on all these different systems between here in pa, newark, jersey city and nyc and out onto long island. :):P :cool:;)

- A

Now if by some divine, impossible (foamer-ish) miracle if they convert the whole Flushing line into B division, then I see no problem with the switch there. But since that's not happening (ever), the only use of that switch would be for work trains and sending cars to CI or 207

Heh, well this is probably the one few things I'll foam about. I still think the Flushing line would be better off being part of B division and keep the A divsion with just the current 6 lines.