The May 11th ongoing track work thread.

metsfan

Will this affect you?  

1. 1. Will this affect you?

This thread is specifically for the service changes for NJT brought about by amtrak replacing a huge section of track's ties starting sunday may 11, 2008. Any information posted here will be useful for both myself and any regular (NJT):nec: rider.

As long as i don't miss the PATH transfer times i dont really think i'm going to pay attention to how late i'll be, let alone the decreased time spent with my girlfriend due to leaving earlier to catch an express to meet up with my ride home on time. I want no more late trains after they fix the ties though, to balance it out. :(

Here's the official info page:

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=CustomerNoticeTo&NoticeId=2054

- Andy

As long as i don't miss the PATH transfer times i dont really think i'm going to pay attention to how late i'll be, let alone the decreased time spent with my girlfriend due to leaving earlier to catch an express to meet up with my ride home on time. I want no more late trains after they fix the ties though, to balance it out. :(

Here's the official info page:

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=CustomerNoticeTo&NoticeId=2054

- Andy

Its ok if you miss PATH transfers coming from the south. Unless schedule changes take place with NJT, with the current schedule, and the delays expected out of this work, you're probably gonna miss the listed PATH transfer. Its only every 15 mins off peak and then every few during the peak on PATH so thats not so bad.

Here are some work and related photos from thursday, april 24 2008.

P4240047.jpg

P4240048.jpg

P4240071.jpg

P4240089.jpg

P4240099.jpg

P4240106.jpg

P4240107.jpg

P4240108.jpg

P4240109.jpg

P4240110.jpg

More photos to come as the project expands (and as i find them in my photo library from today). :nec: :nec: :nec: :nec: :nec: :nec: :nec: !!!

- Andy

What it seems to me, is that the tie replacement is well under way, however the service changes look to be happening when the closed section of track passes important/busy switching points, as well as as the stations. Right now the track work seems to be going on in the reverse of peak traffic, and after peak hours, closing up to 2 miles of track at a time in both directions. I am really happy to see they are doing this in the most efficient way possible, leaving the sections of track most vital to continued traffic till last. It also looks like they are tackling tracks 1 and 4 at the same time, as i've seen this same work train on both tracks, and evidence (new ballast, weathered rails, new looking ties) on the inner tracks as well. Sneaky sneaky! I really think they will not have local track disruption as long as a year, i really think the way they are going it will be about 6-8 months till the whole job is done, just in time for thanksgiving volume!!!

- Andy

Hello,

I'm unsure right now if the :nec: trackwork is going to affect me because right now I have not been riding the trains. When I start to have time to photograph the :njc: commuter trains during the evening rush hour I will let everyone know if the trains are delayed due to the track work.

Eric

Hello,

I'm unsure right now if the :nec: trackwork is going to affect me because right now I have not been riding the trains. When I start to have time to photograph the :njc: commuter trains during the evening rush hour I will let everyone know if the trains are delayed due to the track work.

Eric

Cool, thanks, and post those photos!!! I am going to be trying to get more track work photos this and next week as well as after the 11th.

- Andy

Many switching points have been replaced with ones with concrete ties. Also, i saw the tie replacement work train near linden today doing track work. Weird.

- Andy

Many switching points have been replaced with ones with concrete ties. Also, i saw the tie replacement work train near linden today doing track work. Weird.

- Andy

Were they doing any track work near or in the freight yard near the Linden Station on the :nec:?

Eric

- Andy

An item of note, is that there are speed restrictions not only on track waiting to be replaced, but also on the new track, and the ride on the worked on sections is very bumpy, lets hope that improves. Also of note, is that i saw a very long train carrying what looked like very long sections of track near harrison/newark. If i can find photos of all this from today i will post them.

- Andy

An item of note, is that there are speed restrictions not only on track waiting to be replaced, but also on the new track, and the ride on the worked on sections is very bumpy, lets hope that improves. Also of note, is that i saw a very long train carrying what looked like very long sections of track near harrison/newark. If i can find photos of all this from today i will post them.

- Andy

I saw the rails on the purpose built work train from a path train, so no photos. It had an amtrak hood unit hooked to it, and i think also another type. Next week i will be taking photos when i can of the new switch points, and i think i'll go either off peak round trip to nyp, or to newark in the am and from new york in the pm or something, because i want to get photos. It seems to me that amtrak is updating the local tracks first, because they are heavily traveled by nj transit trains 21 hours of the day on weekdays, and also see a lot of amtrak traffic where they have station stops (metropark, newark, ewr rail). They seem to have parked the tie replacement work train off to the side on that siding near the "north brunswick" water tower shown here:

PC060306.jpg

More photos and info as it becomes available!!

- Andy

Were they doing any track work near or in the freight yard near the Linden Station on the :nec:?

Eric

This was on the track one over from the platforming track on the trenton/DC bound side.

- Andy

Many of the trains that normally terminate at trenton will now terminate at new brunswick or jersey avenue, making riders exit there, and wait for the next trenton bound train. The remaining trains that go the whole route from nyp to trenton have up to 6 minute delays built in on the schedule. For people traveling to or from trenton, hamilton, or princeton junction should expect to get delays on top of the longer posted travel times and adjust plans accordingly. If a train has a door issue, or another mechanical problem the delay could be as long as a half hour or more depending on the severity of the issue. If a train is disabled, especially between stations expect delays up to an hour or more.

- Andy

There will be an online chat on njtransit.com addressing concerns questions and complaints having to do with the may 11th service changes.

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=CustomerNoticeTo&NoticeId=2060

I suggest if anyone is going to go anywhere through NJ by rail in the next 8 months to participate and get your curiosity satisfied. See you there!!

- Andy

There will be an online chat on njtransit.com addressing concerns questions and complaints having to do with the may 11th service changes.

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=CustomerNoticeTo&NoticeId=2060

I suggest if anyone is going to go anywhere through NJ by rail in the next 8 months to participate and get your curiosity satisfied. See you there!!

- Andy

Aw man, I wish I could participate in that. I got a term paper to present that day around that time. :(

Aw man, I wish I could participate in that. I got a term paper to present that day around that time. :(

As aregular rider on the :nec: i need to participate to get as much info as i can, as it will affect me greatly. For any transit/travel planning guru, which i am also, it will be a vital bit of information gathering for people who rely on you for travel planning info.

- Andy

As aregular rider on the :nec: i need to participate to get as much info as i can, as it will affect me greatly. For any transit/travel planning guru, which i am also, it will be a vital bit of information gathering for people who rely on you for travel planning info.

- Andy

Well, hope you report back so I know whats going to be going down whenever I'm riding the NEC. Also for the people who depend on me to plan their travels.

Well, hope you report back so I know whats going to be going down whenever I'm riding the NEC. Also for the people who depend on me to plan their travels.

No problem. Would make sense to post any relevant info to this thread anyways.

- Andy

• 1 month later...

"Jun 20, 2008 08:04:54 PM

Boarding Changes at Hamilton Station Effective Date: June 20, 2008 All westbound trains will be using the low level platform at Hamilton Station to accommodate Amtrak track work from 10 p.m. Friday, June 20 until midday Sunday, June 22. For your safety please follow boarding instructions from NJ TRANSIT train crews or personnel on the platform and remain on the high level platform until the train comes to a complete stop. Westbound customers who require elevator service at Hamilton should remain on the train to Trenton Transit Center and return to Hamilton on an eastbound train. Please allow extra time. "(NJT)

This means only one car will platform for each train. For EMU it will be the front car, for pushed sets it will be the front car, for pulled sets it will be the rear car. There have not been any double ended consists since platforming restrictions at princeton and hamilton, so there shouldn't be an issue with passengers being exposed to the locomotives.

- Andy

Archived