What Will MTA Hiring/ Layoffs Be Like in 2011?

Donald

Does anyone know what employee headcount at the MTA will be like in 2011 under Cuomo? More layoffs? Flat headcount? More hiring? If there are layoffs, what job titles are most at risk? I am not asking anyone to use their crystal ball, but was wondering if any current MTA workers had insights.

Whether it's Cuomo, Patterson or any other warm body in Albany, I take the situation day by day. While the MTA is fighting NYC Transit to take back the raise they are due in 2011, it will be the second year in a row that us at Metro North will not see a raise as we are currently working with out a contract.

Does anyone know what employee headcount at the MTA will be like in 2011 under Cuomo? More layoffs? Flat headcount? More hiring? If there are layoffs, what job titles are most at risk? I am not asking anyone to use their crystal ball, but was wondering if any current MTA workers had insights.

good question donald right now its a waiting game things are moving slowly but @ least there moving

I'm no expert but these are my opinions.

From a common sense standpoint it would make sense that the MTA cuts down on more senior level people that sit

around and do next to nothing all day. Maybe even cut a few jobs in sectors that are simply put.... under-worked. Possibly even lay off some people on any title that have been troublesome or have less than stellar working records, Im sure that can save plenty of money (although this can lead to disgruntled worker chaos). Hell maybe even force some of the company's top earners to take on pay-cuts or no raises for a while. I'm sure the MTA has several hardly necessary projects that they can slow down or even stop for a while. There is also plenty of number crunching they can do on pensions and other sorts of financials that don't immediately come to mind because ummmm.....I don't work for them. These sorta things usually work for businesses that are properly ran or analyzed. The only thing that isn't in their power are the unions that don't wanna seem to buy into the fact that the MTA could go under. I find them to be sorta like the stock market sometimes, in that they don't want to pay attention to any incoming potholes or roadblocks so long as they are making a profit.

HOWEVER, because lately this company almost seems corrupt what they'll choose to do to cut their deficit, is further deteriorate the system. Issuing lay-offs to conductors, station agents, cleaners, vehicle operators, and many other people that DIRECTLY make their services almost bearable. Not to mention fare hikes. In my opinion this sorta stuff might work in the short run but in the long run its still on the same boat.

"From a common sense standpoint it would make sense that the MTA cuts down on more senior level people that sit

around and do next to nothing all day."

I agree. But thoe are the people who decide who to layoff and they are not going to layoff themselves. Maybe what we need is an independent commission to come in and decide who to layoff.

From a common sense standpoint it would make sense that the MTA cuts down on more senior level people that sit

around and do next to nothing all day.

Some aspects this can be done, some aspects it can not. While I can't speak for NYC Transit or LIRR. In MNR non-agreement (management) personnel can be laid off. Agreement (union) personnel can not. If you cut a secretary I position that person will not get laid off. They go to the assignment clerk and picks a new position based on their seniority. That creates a chain reaction until it hits the bottom of the list where that person must pick either a vacant job if there is one or they will get furloughed. When a position becomes available that furloughed individual will get notified and can bid that job. Jobs on the bid sheet are awarded based on seniority. If ten people bid on the job the person with the most time gets awarded it. Then that job goes on the bid sheet and the process continues.

The only time the company can fire an agreement employee is when it involves disciplinary actions.

Archived