How are the Orion 7 OG's/NG's doing?

Princelex

Yes, lots of buses burned. One of them, MTA not even worth to fix one of the buses that was BBQ.

LGA doesnt count, haha.

MJQ did have issues, handme down buses from Staten Island that they trashed them.

Why change subject to RTS? RTS has problems and this topic is Orion?

Orion VII is a bigger problem here... You say it is reliable... funny. The CNG units of Orion VII? The 1st gen of Orion VII hybrid? MDBF numbers dont lie. The fuel economy numbers of the hybrid is surprisingly is the same as a regular diesel bus, dont lie. The Orion VII defect lists that MTA presented in the board meeting, is that lie? The facts are there....

"The O7's are the single most reliable standard buses in the city! This is not an opinion."That is your opinion. Im sorry, they are truly not the case here.

Im hoping Orion VII to be a reliable product, but clearly the quality control needs to be address ASAP.

Lots of buses burned up huh? Which units were these? Where does some documentation say thats the fuel economy is about the same as the diesels? (Excluding the MCI cruisers) I have MDBF records too! So what are the numbers since you know them? What I stated is NOT an opinion either. But I forgot I have to post everything in black and white for you! I will be sure to do that especially for you tomorrow.

And MJQ got those buses from SI right? So you just made that point for me. Thats like LGA sending hybrids to ENY. Common sense would tell you that they too would have some issues. Like I said, they (MJQ) are doing a damn good job of maintaining them too! SI had not even put the buses in revenue service before they started tearing them up.

Lots of buses burned up huh? Which units were these? Where does some documentation say thats the fuel economy is about the same as the diesels? (Excluding the MCI cruisers) I have MDBF records too! So what are the numbers since you know them? What I stated is NOT an opinion either. But I forgot I have to post everything in black and white for you! I will be sure to do that especially for you tomorrow.

And MJQ got those buses from SI right? So you just made that point for me. Thats like LGA sending hybrids to ENY. Common sense would tell you that they too would have some issues. Like I said, they (MJQ) are doing a damn good job of maintaining them too! SI had not even put the buses in revenue service before they started tearing them up.

The fuel economy presented in the MTA board meetings, shows that hybrids doesnt save at all when operating at streets like outside of Manhattan. They are operated same mpg to regular diesels. What a big difference!

Show some MDBF records throughout the years... especially MTA has admitted the 2003/4 Orion VII CNG is not performing to the levels of New Flyer C40LF, which they are older and perhaps better then Orion VII CNG with nearly the same powertrain specs. What a big difference!

MJQ, Im not disputing or bashing MJQ, they do a good job maintaining. It is the way that MTA gave MJQ some handme down used SI buses in the first place.

It doesnt help me to change my opinion on Orion VII. Im sure theres people who disagree with me. IMO... Orion VII is really not reliable product due in part of MTA. They did not go through rigorous testing which they should in the beginning when they accept the very first Orion VII product and could have handle the issues in a timely matter, not resulting with angry frustrated B/Os, mechanics, managers, etc... or even MTA board members and maybe Jay Waldo.

I hope MTA doesnt rely on Orion in the future especially we have too many Orion VIIs in this area already. Need more variety, the better.

The fuel economy presented in the MTA board meetings, shows that hybrids doesnt save at all when operating at streets like outside of Manhattan. They are operated same mpg to regular diesels. What a big difference!

Show some MDBF records throughout the years... especially MTA has admitted the 2003/4 Orion VII CNG is not performing to the levels of New Flyer C40LF, which they are older and perhaps better then Orion VII CNG with nearly the same powertrain specs. What a big difference!

MJQ, Im not disputing or bashing MJQ, they do a good job maintaining. It is the way that MTA gave MJQ some handme down used SI buses in the first place.

It doesnt help me to change my opinion on Orion VII. Im sure theres people who disagree with me. IMO... Orion VII is really not reliable product due in part of MTA. They did not go through rigorous testing which they should in the beginning when they accept the very first Orion VII product and could have handle the issues in a timely matter, not resulting with angry frustrated B/Os, mechanics, managers, etc... or even MTA board members and maybe Jay Waldo.

I hope MTA doesnt rely on Orion in the future especially we have too many Orion VIIs in this area already. Need more variety, the better.

Im going to catch major hell for saying this: Everybody knows the C40's are better than the Orion CNG's. That's a given.

As far as the MDBF, we will break those numbers out tomorrow. My point is that some depots are maintaining them great, while others are not. Im looking at this from every angle, and the good outweighs the bad. Case in point, why are we awarding Orion a contract for more of these "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad" buses later this month?

Im going to catch major hell for saying this: Everybody knows the C40's are better than the Orion CNG's. That's a given.

As far as the MDBF, we will break those numbers out tomorrow. My point is that some depots are maintaining them great, while others are not. Im looking at this from every angle, and the good outweighs the bad. Case in point, why are we awarding Orion a contract for more of these "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad" buses later this month?

I really dont mind if you post the MDBF numbers for all fleets or even depot by depot if you have the latest. It doesnt matter that the new 2008-2010 Orion VII hybrid and CNG buses have high MDBF, but once the age and the duty cycle kicks in the next 2 to 3 years, they will fall. It happens to the OGs as well when they new, they fall. Too bad, it doesnt solve the problem that MTA has to deal with safety defects like in Kingsbridge: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/12/25/2010-12-25_labor_tussle_slows_bronx_bus_service.html

I am waiting for that new Orion contract, if the contract appears on the MTA books then thats great... another X amount of bus no-bid contract order. Hooray!

I really dont mind if you post the MDBF numbers for all fleets or even depot by depot if you have the latest. It doesnt matter that the new 2008-2010 Orion VII hybrid and CNG buses have high MDBF, but once the age and the duty cycle kicks in the next 2 to 3 years, they will fall. It happens to the OGs as well when they new, they fall. Too bad, it doesnt solve the problem that MTA has to deal with safety defects like in Kingsbridge: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/12/25/2010-12-25_labor_tussle_slows_bronx_bus_service.html

I am waiting for that new Orion contract, if the contract appears on the MTA books then thats great... another X amount of bus no-bid contract order. Hooray!

I didnt plan on including the NG's MDBF. I was talking about the OG's.

The Bronx issue was political, and New Flyers were included. So that doesnt count!

I didnt plan on including the NG's MDBF. I was talking about the OG's.

The Bronx issue was political, and New Flyers were included. So that doesnt count!

Fine, dont plan including those numbers.

Yes it does count, hybrids are in it as well. Should I count LGA and Castleton in the mixed? Maybe QV, Yukon, JFK, Far Rockaway, Fresh Pond? JG and WF? that count too or the rest of MTA garages who have Orion VII that surprising dont have issues?

Well I am looking forward to seeing these numbers. That was one of the things that I was hoping for in this thread. I want to know just how well these buses are doing. From a passenger standpoint, I wish we never got them because it's like being a part of cattle in a farm but if they are doing the job, then what can I say?

I'm loving all the responses and thank you for contributing your views. I can't wait to see what more all of you have to say about these buses. It ain't ova! LOL

Fine, dont plan including those numbers.

Yes it does count, hybrids are in it as well. Should I count LGA and Castleton in the mixed? Maybe QV, Yukon, JFK, Far Rockaway, Fresh Pond? JG and WF? that count too or the rest of MTA garages who have Orion VII that surprising dont have issues?

LGA doesn't count because they couldn't maintain a paper bag enclosed in glass!

Andof the other depots you mentioned, the only ones that had really issues were CAS, and QV. But seeing, ass you know more about situation than me, can you please tell us whats these issues are at the other depots?

MDBF stats coming up when I get a few minutes to sit down.

Is it true that some of them caught on fire? I thought I heard about that somewhere...

Let me back track my statement, I miss the small reply spot title: "What about the new Generation Orions?"

NGs not that I heard of it. OGs yes, there were lots of cases of bus fires and they have to send it to the vendor to fix the repairs, unfortunately one did BBQ.

LGA doesn't count because they couldn't maintain a paper bag enclosed in glass!

Andof the other depots you mentioned, the only ones that had really issues were CAS, and QV. But seeing, ass you know more about situation than me, can you please tell us whats these issues are at the other depots?

You dont count LGA or other depot in the mix, thats your take. I already mention countless times when this and other similar topics brought up, you seem to brush with it my post. It doesnt hurt me when you called these silly insults at me.

Well I am looking forward to seeing these numbers. That was one of the things that I was hoping for in this thread. I want to know just how well these buses are doing. From a passenger standpoint, I wish we never got them because it's like being a part of cattle in a farm but if they are doing the job, then what can I say?

I'm loving all the responses and thank you for contributing your views. I can't wait to see what more all of you have to say about these buses. It ain't ova! LOL

I agree with you 100%. It is really interesting to get some prospective on the buses from different poster's view. So I can not wait to ride on the newer Orion VII, if they really improve.

Let me back track my statement, I miss the small reply spot title: "What about the new Generation Orions?"

NGs not that I heard of it. OGs yes, there were lots of cases of bus fires and they have to send it to the vendor to fix the repairs, unfortunately one did BBQ.

You dont count LGA or other depot in the mix, thats your take. I already mention countless times when this and other similar topics brought up, you seem to brush with it my post. It doesnt hurt me when you called these silly insults at me.

Lmao! How did I insult you clown? And what OG's caught on fire? Thats my question!

As far as the MDBF stats, I need to search my computer. I have like 20 million MTA files, and its not a priority at this very second. I have a few other things I need to do.

Lmao! How did I insult you clown? And what OG's caught on fire? Thats my question!

As far as the MDBF stats, I need to search my computer. I have like 20 million MTA files, and its not a priority at this very second. I have a few other things I need to do.

OGs caught fire, Should I point you out CNG units?

Take your time, keep doing what you do.

Making fun at me. Thats great. It doesnt hurt me. I have the time to keep saying about the Orion VII issues.

Further more, I hope this thread wont be a disaster as to the other ones.

Take your time, keep doing what you do.

Making fun at me. Thats great. It doesnt hurt me. I have the time to keep saying about the Orion VII issues.

Further more, I hope this thread wont be a disaster as to the other ones.

I'm not making fun of you at all. What OG's caught fire? You still haven't answered the question my man.

The worst Orion 7 NG's piece of shit bus.Hard ass jail seats but however I do believe they have 6 gears for a piece of shit bus.But Orion V CNG's out there are better.

Orion VII CNG in West Farms are not well maintained one set has a piece of the roof off I saw it earlier its in the 76xx range I was like wtf(literally it had a hole in the roof and it wasn't the emergency exit b\c that would stick out it was nothing.But they growl pretty well.

I feel the exact same way. The CNG from WF look disgusting i understand what you mean in regards to the seats but sadly I would not put soft seats or padded seats in the WF routes except the BX8 they mess those seats up. They should change them to hard seats for that clientele. The 77xx are the worst they jerk more.

In regards to the Orion 7 OG I never really liked them. specially the Hybrid. I think it looks aweful and sounds horrible. Im not knowledgeable on back of the house but as a rider. They suck. The NG's are ok but i like the diesel version like the ones in Toronto as opposed to the Hybrid.

I feel the exact same way. The CNG from WF look disgusting i understand what you mean in regards to the seats but sadly I would not put soft seats or padded seats in the WF routes except the BX8 they mess those seats up. They should change them to hard seats for that clientele. The 77xx are the worst they jerk more.

In regards to the Orion 7 OG I never really liked them. specially the Hybrid. I think it looks aweful and sounds horrible. Im not knowledgeable on back of the house but as a rider. They suck. The NG's are ok but i like the diesel version like the ones in Toronto as opposed to the Hybrid.

That's why I'm very interested in seeing what will happen with the Orion 3G's and how they will hold up here as diesels compared to the hybrid NG's.

It's a good thing that no one is really praising LI's NG CNGs. I'll give the NGs the speed factor and the minimal power loss when the HVAC is switched on compared to the Orion Vs, but the ride is so damn brutal, and sitting in the back only means you'll hit the ceiling if a pothole jumps up.

Archived