191st Street Turns 100

Guest Lance

Guest lance25

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this yet, but the 191st Street (IRT Broadway/Seventh Avenue) subway station (the deepest in the entire system) opened on this date one hundred years ago. According to Wikipedia, this station, along with the ones from 168th Street to 215th Street, were completed in March of 1906, but since the elevators along with other work wasn't completed yet, this station took another five years to open.

Wikipedia Article

NYCSubway.org Article

Happy Centennial Anniversary, 191st Street (1)! And, I'd like to add that from November 12, 1904 until March 16, 1906, 157th Street (1) served as the terminal for the I.R.T. subway.

During 1905, Highlanders' fans had about an eight block walk to home games at Hilltop Park from the 157th Street terminal.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.259 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

It's a bit of a walk through the tunnel from Broadway to the platform, isn't it?

Its about 3 blocks but it seens like forever lol. Plus at nights, it seens desolate...one time I was the only one in the entire tunnel (it was about 3 am though)

Archived