1939 Worlds Fair Station

MainStreetBound7

I was wondering if anybody knew where there are pictures of the 1939 worlds fair station, not the one on the (7) but the one that was on what is now the (E) (I think) and also ran along what is now the van wyck expressway, I've seen one picture of it on nycsubway.org, but I would like to see more.

Just so people don't get confused... the station doesn't exist anymore -___-

It spurred off at Jamaica yard, interesting. So It went through Flushing Meadow Park? :confused:

It went to the other side of the park. At the time the BMT and IRT operated jointly on what is today the (7) line. To get to the northwest end of the park you would take those services.

The IND line went to the south and east end of the park. This was closer to the rides in the amusement park during the '39 world's fair. The tradeoff was that to exit the IND Subway at the World's Fair stop, it cost an additional 5c. The IRT and BMT did not charge a second fare to exit at Willets Point.

Some time ago there was a published document about the IND World's Fair line that the G-train, and the E-train used, it included pictures and history.

Since the line was temporary, and the in the pathway of the Van-Wyck Expressway, under the reign of Robert Moses the line was not going to last, especially with few riders after the World's Fair closed.

Mike

Heh..found that article on NYCSubway.org about the IND World's Fair Line & Track Maps:

http://www.nycsubway.org/lines/worldsfair.html

The only other photo I could find on the site:

img_2355.jpg

Thanks for that great photo. I see it is looking North, running over the route of the future Van Wyck Expressway Extension. Just out of view on the right side up the embankment is Park Drive East, and the neighborhood of Kew Gardens Hills. Wish it were still around today, as I live just a mile or so east of it near Queens College. Would be nice if there was a station at Jewel Avenue.....

Come to think of it, perhaps the photo was shot from the Jewel Avenue/69th Road bridge.

Archived