2011: The year filled with anniversities of historic events in US History

Shortline Bus

Really? The Roosevelt Island Tram is thirty-five years old?

Back in 1976, when the Roosevelt Island Tram opened, bus fare was 50 cents exact change or a subway token, subway fare was a 50 cents token, the (E) and the (F) were the 70(E) and 70(F) on the subway map and ran via 53d Street and the 63d Street Line was under construction.

cotb16 and Shortline Bus, next month is another thirty-fifth anniversary: On August 27, 1976, a Friday, subway "doomsday" occurred as New York City began coming out of The Fiscal Crises. On that day, the 70(EE), the 70(K) and the 70(F) Brooklyn express were cancelled; the 70(GG) was cut back to Smith-Ninth Streets; the 70(CC) and 70(E) had their southern terminals switched and the Second Avenue Subway officially was left out of the Capital Budget. The Chrystie Street Connector (until Monday June 27, 2010) and the express tunnel that triangulates between Seventh Avenue-Park Slope and Church Avenue (as well as the famous Bergen Street Lower Level) went dormant. (The 70(N) was extended to 71st Avenue-Continental Avenue and the 70(:( began alternating rush hours between 168th Street-Broadway and 57th Street-Sixth Avenue to offset the loss of the 70(EE) and 70(K) however).

Since no one chose to answer, I'll give it away. It's the Roosevelt Island Tramway. I rode it a few times this past week and found it pleasurable with views of every borough except Staten Island. I was a little scared thanks to the 2006 incident. But thank God the Tram was renovated last year.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30 years ago today in 1981, 1970's era folk/pop star Harry Chapin was killed in a tragic accident in Long Island on the LIE. Although many of you may not know the name Chapin is known for 2 things. First he was among the first entertainers in the Rock era to regular use his concerts/apperences to promote chartities. Among them was poverty and hunger in America and around the world. This was years before charitable groups like "We are the world' and more recent "Live 8' also had concerts for the less forunate.

Here this morning NY Daily News what further explains Chapin's life 30 years after his passing.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/2011/07/10/2011-07-10_remembering_harry_chapin_three_decades_later_looking_back_at_a_singer_with_a_cau.html

And oh yeah! Here is a great song that amazingly over 35 years later speaks about the most forgotten sibling in most families, the Dads of the world.

RIP Harry.:cry:

• 3 weeks later...

15 years ago tonight in Atlanta as they hosted the 1996 Summer Olympics, a tragic event occured. On July 27, 1996 at the Atlanta Olympic Park a bomb went off that killed 1 person and injured dozens more. This would mark the

2nd time a terrorist related attack occured during the summer games.

The first was in 1972 during the Munich Games in which 9 athletes from Israel was murdered by a Terrorist cell from Palastine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Olympic_Park_bombing

Tomorrow is MTV's 30th birthday! Also, my dad's favorite station, 98.7 KISS FM, celebrates its 30th year as KISS FM.

Oh Yes Thanks Andrew. WRKS-FM is a histroic radio station. Started in 1965 as a Rock and Roll station 'WOR-AM" (not to be confused with NYC's WOR-TV or WOR-AM). Byy the late 1970's the station changed formats/name again and became known as a Disco/R&B station "99X" WXLO. Then 1981 it became a R&B station which it remains to this day.

As "KISS FM" it mostly famous for being one of the first mainstream radio stations in America for having a Hop-Hop/Rap station on Friday and Saturday Nights. This show hosted by "Red Alert' was on for years until "Hot 97" in 1994 and later "Power 105" in 2001 played Hip HOP 24/7.

Newsman Bob Slade is the only person on current KISS FM that was around in the late 1970 during the "XLO" disco days.

Happy 50th Birthday to President Obama. He still sucks though.

Andrew he the President of the United States. I don't agree with all of his policies either but he seems to be a nice man so he does not 'suck.' 2011 other than the capture of Osama has not been a good year for him so far. Still happy 50th birthday Mr. President.

Shifting gears away from politics.;)

On this day August 5 with fairly recent events that changed history.

In 1981, Pres. Regan fires thousands of air traffic controllers nationwide after he orders back to work during a lenghty strike. Although challenged in court, they rule in the President's favor starting the era of lowering of unions which continues to this day.

In 2010. Just a year ago, the start of the plight of the miners in Chile being trapped in a mine began. Hard to believe a year went by so quick.

Saturday marks the 100th birthday of this TV legend and at one point one of the world's most famous woman at height of her popularity. On August 6th, 1911, Lucille Ball was born. Most of you have at least know the show she was the star of called "I Love Lucy.' Ball was the Oprah Winfrey of her day as she was the first female TV star to have creative control of her show/production company. That company of course co-owned by long time husband desi arnaz,

Anyhow the link is below on the life of this tv star who know the world over.

Happy 100th Birthday Lucy.

Her bio info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucille_Ball

1)pics/video clips of Ms. Ball

2)theme to 'I Love Lucy'

Today 16 years ago, the darkest moment in MLB History occured. August 12, 1994 was the first day of then longest work stoppage in pro sports history (not counting soccer leagues in Europe/South America cancelling games due to World War II) as Baseball went on strike.

The result was the end of the regular season and of course the cancellation of the 1994 World Series. The three big changes that occured after the strike.

1)Start of the biggest 'in game scandal' in the sport's long history the "Steriods Era" which arguably only ended recently around 2005-'06.

2)The gap between the elite teams i.e Yankees, Red Sox and the lower revenue teams i.e A's, Pirates, Marlins, Rays, etc. got bigger than ever.

3)The Montreal Expos who had the best record at start of the strike in August 1994 suffered the most. 8 years due to terrible fan support and most important the City of Montreal and Quebec refusing to pay for a new ballpark, the Expos moved to Washington, DC. They are now known as the Washington Nationals.

Thus little did sports fans know that on August 12, 1994 MLB would be changed forever.

:eek:

75 years ago this month in August 1936, the greatest basketball player of all time(i know you kiddies say Mr. Jordan lol)Wilt Chamberlain was born. Wilt once scored 100 points in a game vs. the NY Knicks in 1962. That by himself folks not just the team lol.

Sadly Wilt passed away almost a decade ago. Still happy birthday 'wilt.'

Today marks the 10th anniversary of the death of R&B singer Aaliyah, who died in a plane crash after shooting the video for, "Rock the Boat."

Good job Lenin. Saw it last night but forgot to post it with focus on "Irene.'

Still a shame that a pretty looking young lady who was almost a 'shoo-in' to have a long and successful carrer in pop music loses her life so young.

In her memory here is her biggest hit 'are you that somebody.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuWMW7hVdTs

Archived