2011: The year filled with anniversities of historic events in US History

Shortline Bus

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30 years ago this Wednesday, March 30, 1981 is the infamous anniversity of the last major attempted murder of a sitting President of the United States.

Ronald Reagan was shot in Washington DC but would survive and become one of the most popular Presidents in American History.

I also remember that day as it was the same night that the NCAA College Basketball Championship Game would occur. The game did take place as scheduled.

Here is a short clip of that evening's NBC's 'Nightly News' then anchored by John Chancellor the host right before Tom Brokaw held that seat for nearly 25 years.

FYI. Notice a young Chris Wallace (now host of FNC's "Fox News Sunday") in this clip as the Chief White House Reporter.

I only got one for now. September 7th-13th, 1996 is the fifteenth anniversary of the shooting and death of rapper Tupac Shakur. If he was still alive he would turn 40 years old this year on June 16th. This case is still unsolved for now.

The shooting of 2pac and soon after Biggie aka Chris Wallace did bring an end to the biggest feud in modern pop music history. Thus '2' young men were sadly murdered.

And both crimes have yet to be solved although recently they have made progress on Biggie's murder and even heard suspects are going to be caught soon. I have a very funny feeling that these two murder cases may have former LAPD officers involved since several were working at Death Row Records when these murders took place and the Rampart Scandal that would soon follow.

Not meant to be rude MC CJ as this is a great topic that should be a new thread altogether. Meaning discussing in more detail about 2pac and Biggie carrers/unsolved murder cases you can create. Here this topic was just discussing *briefly* just historic events in general.

My last comments on it briefly here as don't want to get too off track is this. No doubt both Biggie and 2pac murders IMO was a cover up especially after the post invegestation. And what you said is probably what took place. Why 'the slainings of 2' Internationally known Pop stars(I admit I am not a big fan of Biggie myself)has not been solved almost 15 years later?

Just a food of thought.:confused:

Your right I don't want to side track this thread. When September 7th rolls around I'll make a separate thread about this though. That was one historical anniversary I can think of that has not been listed so far.

No problem kid. On a more positive note 1996 is a great year for me personally as I had got my Bachelor's Degree that summer.:(

Also in '96, some other major news events of that year included.

-Bill Clinton re-elected as President of the United States.

-TWA Flight #800 crashes off the coast of Long Island killing all aboard.

-Yankees win their world Series in 18 years. (since 1978 Title) They 'upset' the defending champion Braves in

6 games.

_The Cowboys (Jan.'96)won the super bowl, the Avalanche win the Stanley Cup and Micheal Jordan's Bulls won the NBA Title.

-"Independence Day" starring Will Smith and 'Mission Impossible' starring Tom Cruise were among that year's biggest hits at the movies.

-George Pataki was Gov. of New York and Rudy Giuliani was NYC Mayor.

-The famous 1996 NYC Blizzard hit the Big Apple and paralyzed most of the East Coast early in January.

-"Friends' "Seinfeld" "ER" was among the most popular TV shows in America.

-In Pop Music, 2Pac's "California Love" Bone Thug and Harmony's "Tha Crossroads" Tracy Chapman's "Give me One Reason" and this song was among the year's most popular.

The memories of 1996.:eek:

30 years ago this week on April 1, 1981 the first Hip-Hop song (indirectly) reached the top of the pop singles chart in America. Not Run DMC(who had the first #1 album by a Rap Artist)Grandmaster Flash, Whoodni or even the Bestie Boys.

Some music historians also may claim that the first Hip Hop single to reach #1 on the "Hot 100" was by Vanilla Ice

"Ice Ice Baby'. However what is not disputable as that this Rock HOF Band helped to put this then 'new' genre on the map.

It's Rapture by Blondie.

Granted 38th birthdays arent really considered significant (unless you're a cancer survivor), but today the Twin Towers would have celebrated their 38th year of being open to the public.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/04/01/vault.world.trade.center.1973.cnn?hpt=C2

Hey Nova you can make a special case for the Twin Towers even at offbeat

number on it's 38th anniversity of opening.:tup:

150 years ago today on April 12, 1861 a famous battle just outside Charleston, SC began that would led to the death of a stunning then 15% of the US population of that time. The American Civil War began today with the legendary(in military terms)battle of Ft. Sumner.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/12/150th-anniversary-civil-war-battles-photos/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk2%7C55514

25 years one of the biggest epic fails in TV history occurred tonight. Geraldo Rivera in perhaps the low point of his carreer hosted a show in which an then unknown and undiscovered part of Al Capone's Chicago Masion was going to be removed. Instead Capone has the last laugh as the vault basically was empty. So 1986 was a very eventful year.

Although Al Capone's vaults was a failure, the show remains the most watched syndicated/non-network special (i.e Fox, NBC, CBS or ABC) on free tv in US History. This show would pave the way for shows like "America's Most Wanted' "Cops" and other reality shows focusing on crimes and law enforcement soon after. Here tape.:confused:;):P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r5xBMNfOl4

Well today April 21, 2011 is the 175th Anniversary of the Battle of San Jacinto. It was a battle in the Texas Revolution in which America would later on take, and accept as a US State. The soldiers shouted "Remember the Alamo", and "Remember the Goliad" in this battle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_San_Jacinto

Archived